• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Michael Heaney

Hi, I'm Michael Heaney and new to turning. I've been interested for quite a few years since retiring. I noticed a Jet lathe model JWL-1642VS-2 up for auction at a local high school and had the winning bid, so now on a new adventure. Just picking it up at the school was it's own adventure, but won't bore you with that. I plan on joining a club in Arlington Heights, IL. about a 30 to 40 minute drive from my house when the summer winds down. Now I'm watching youtube learning the basics of sharpening the tools that came with it and just slowly getting used to cutting some ash from a dead tree on my property :) free wood is always nice.

Michael,

I envy your situation, you have plenty of time to enjoy your new hobby which can go in many directions. You are starting with a good sized machine able to turn just about any type of woodturning item of interest. There are plenty of YouTube videos that you can watch to learn various turning techniques some good and some bad, a turning club will help you make good decisions on equipment, tools, turning methods, safety issues and sources for various materials used in processing and finishing wood turned items.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Michael. The club is a great place to start.
The Jet is a nice lathe that will serve you well.

I have two suggestions for now
YouTube is the great! the bad! and the dangerous!

1. Be safe: Focus on YouTube videos reviewed by AAW
AAW Members have volunteered to review videos for safe and effective practices
You won’t run out the safe and effective ones for quite a while.
http://aawvideosource.org

2. Work on the basics - beads and coves - Wear a face shield, start with small pieces 2x2x8

Practice beads and coves until you can turn 16 1/2” nearly identical beads on a 2x2x8
practice coves until you can turn 8 identical coves on a 2x2x8

Woodturning is all beads, coves, and flats

I have seen a 3x3x5 send an experienced turner to the emergency room for 12 stitches and a procedure to save some teeth. If he had been wearing a face shield he most like would not have been hurt at all or at worst a small bruise.

Last edited:
Good score on the lathe. Good move to join the club- lots of good info there and the library.

@Michael Heaney first welcome to the AAW Forum, and more important welcome to Chicago Wood Turners. You'll find our club is very active with a large membership. There is lots of getting started help available. Meetings start at 7 pm, but doors open at 6. If you come early we have a lathe set up so you can ask questions and get practical help. Looking forward to meeting you.

Back