• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Michael McDonough

Hi,

I'm relatively new to turning (a few months). I have a Delta Midi Lathe and I'm considering whether a band saw would be helpful; particulary to make bowl blanks.

Any opinions about whether it's a good idea and, if so, what brand/size?

I've been looking at a Jet 14" or a Rikon 14". Prices are comparable at the local supplier I've been checking out with the Jet being a bit more expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am enjoying the Rikon 10-325 14" BS that I bought last year. I think they have even sweetend the pot with the 10-350, though i think that adds about $500 to the price of the 10-325

If you are turning bowls from log blanks, you can get by with a chainsaw. If you are turning bowls from boards, a bandsaw really helps. I have two, and since I sell, I can justify the need, though need some times has nothing to do with tool buying.

My small saw has a 1 hp motor, and cuts 6 inches high. This is perfect for cutting circles on anything that fits under the blade guides. There are some models that will take a 6 inch riser block so you can cut 12 inches high. They work, but not as well as a saw that is designed to cut 12 inches high.

My big saw cuts 16 inches high, and has a 4.5 hp motor on it. I use it to slab up log blanks. Really saves time as the blanks are so much more uniform than I can ever get with the chainsaw.

A good blade is worth as much as a good bandsaw. If you have some one locally make them, tell them what you are doing with it, and they can recommend the proper blade or blades. You should at least check out a wood shop book on fine tuning your bandsaw.

Local club is a great source of info.

robo hippy

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Michael,

I have had both of those band saws. I sold the Jet to buy the Rikon 10-325.

The Jet was a fine saw, but limited on the height of cut at 6" without the riser. I didn't know if it was designed to really handle the additional stress of the riser. And I was concerned about the 1hp with the 12" cut.

I got a heck of a deal on the Rikon from a friend of mine. Brand new, still in the box for 600.00. It has been a real workhorse for me. Runs very smoothly and handles everything I have thrown at it. 1-1/2 hp and 13-1/4 depth of cut sealed the deal for me.

I still rough out most of my blanks with my chainsaw, but the Rikon get lots of use for other projects.

Best wishes,

Dave

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'll give this some thought. It's good to have some advice from those more experienced and who have actually used these tools. Thanks again.

Michael: I bought a Grizzly 513 in 2007 and never regretted it. 12 inches under the guides, 2 hp motor. I regularly cut 12 in logs in half, longways, without issues. Blanks from the two halves follow, also without problems.

Just another data point for you.

Best regards, Tom

Get that saw!

Michael, Like yourself I am new to turning and had been roughing my blanks with a chain saw. I just purchased a Rikon 10-325 and finished assembling it today. It just seems to me the better the blank is when presented to the tool the easier the job. I used the new saw to make a circle cutting jig so I am having fun already. I can't say much other than that! Be safe and have fun.

Earl

I just purchased a Rikon 10-325 and finished assembling it today. It just seems to me the better the blank is when presented to the tool the easier the job. I used the new saw to make a circle cutting jig so I am having fun already.

Easier on the lathe and the turner, not to mention safer to have a reasonable round ready for what will be round. Thought for you to make things even easier on the lathe. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/Trim-for-balance-1.jpg Since you won't be using that wood, leave it in chunks large enough for the stove.

Think my big kid is going to go for the Rikon, too. Discussed it last week.

Love that saw!

I cut three blanks on the Rikon today. Cypress, cherry and some mahogany and maple tongue and grove boards I glued together. Tomorrow I will try that bevel cut the "Mouse" showed us. I must admit things went a lot smoother without all that banging and chatter.

Earl

It must be easier on the arms! Interesting bevel cut. I'm looking forward to buying the saw.

The cut is designed to keep the lathe from rocking from uneven loading as you see it there. You may also want to consider using a similar approach for pieces too thick to run under the guides of your saw. As long as you've the help of a circle gauge or maybe a piece of ply to broaden your foot, you can whittle both faces and then the middle. Or undercut with the chainsaw and take the last five at the bandsaw.

Better balance helps both you and the lathe.

Back