• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mike Harman

Hi, thanks for accepting me as a member. I live in New Zealand at Papamoa Beach. I have been woodturning for nearly fifty years. I first used a lathe just before I left school some fifty-eight years ago. Fifty years ago I bought my first lathe which was made in the Taiwan school of engineering it had a bed of 1100mm and changed speed by belt change I thrashed this lathe for forty years then I bought a lathe made in NZ called a BLine it was a great lathe but had a very small swing over the bed. The lathe that I have now is a variable speed with a short bed.

When I started turning there were no clubs in New Zealand there was only one person that I knew of that did it as a hobby and sold blanks etc, there were a few professional turners.

I managed to get hold of a gouge but made the rest of my tools from old files and old sawmill blades to the shape that I wanted.
There was plenty of heartaches and near misses but I still enjoyed the challenge. Today my main tool is the skew chisel and a scraper the only time that I use a gouge is when turning a bowl I have three skews that I made from old files and one from a piece of 1/4 inch square steel that I hardened this is my main tool.

My main interest in turning is varied from bowls, goblets, and ringed toys to Chinese balls also puzzles that have a secret to pull them apart I also make bushes for gearboxes for our workshop on my lathe. My current interest is turning a ball on a stand supported by a 2mm stalk out of one piece of wood with no join This has taken me a while to perfect as it is very delicate.

Sorry that I have no pictures to put up but will in the future take some to display but will need my wife's help.

Anyway, that's about it I am looking forward to seeing what other members have turned up and different ways of turning objects. once again thanks for accepting me.

Cheers,
Mike Harman

Back