• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mike Shannon

Hello,
I'm now retired and it's my understanding that to ensure I will receive my social security checks it's best that I become involved in woodworking.
So I've been shopping lathes and watching hours of video. I'm thinking something in the "midi" size. That new Nova Neptune looks interesting as does the Record Power Herald...and the Laguna and the Rikon. It's not an easy decision. A nice used machine with the accessories would make my decision easier but I haven't found it yet.
Thanks to all for sharing your experience and information and excellent work!

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum! This is such a wonderful craft, and the forum is very helpful and inspiring. I had a Nova previously (different model), and had a great experience. A lot of folks here have Record lathes, and I almost always hear good things. Rikon as well. Laguna is a mixed bag, though plkenty of folks have good experiences. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. Cheers!

I just bought my first wood lathe, I ended up with a Rikon 1420. I can't compare it to any of the other lathes but so far I have no complaints. I think I may have gotten a fluke of a deal on mine. It was priced $200 less than anyone else was selling the same lathe for and the seller raised their price $200 the day after I placed my order. I spent some time browsing the classifieds for a used machine but nothing came up so I bought this one.

Mike Think about what you might want to turn and realise it probably wont be your last lathe as this will dictate to a large extent what you will be looking at. As mentioned join a club, and you may find somebody wishing to off load a lathe and the price will be the most favourable leaving more budget for tools etc. Because at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much you pay for the lathe, that cost will be dwarfed by the 'other gear' over time

Welcome! I spent 5 yrs in Stillwater getting a degree and Saturdays on Lewis Field.

Its hard to know when getting started what type and size of items may peak your interest. For interior use 14” finished dia is about as big a bowl/platter that’s practical, and a 16” swing can handle that. Bigger lathes can do smaller just fine, but the opposite doesnt work. Most of the 14” midi lathes dont really have enough motor, but I think the Neptune may have the same drive system as my Galaxi, which has plenty of power on 120v.

Finding a local club and local turners really helps - understand the choices they made and why.

Welcome! I spent 5 yrs in Stillwater getting a degree and Saturdays on Lewis Field.

Its hard to know when getting started what type and size of items may peak your interest. For interior use 14” finished dia is about as big a bowl/platter that’s practical, and a 16” swing can handle that. Bigger lathes can do smaller just fine, but the opposite doesnt work. Most of the 14” midi lathes dont really have enough motor, but I think the Neptune may have the same drive system as my Galaxi, which has plenty of power on 120v.

Finding a local club and local turners really helps - understand the choices they made and why.
One point that has made me hesitant about the Nova is the "new" motor but I see it's been/being used on other larger models. I'm glad to hear that you like it. I'm between the Rikon and Nova. I'm also going to go to the Tulsa group and attend their woodturning meetings.
Congrats on your great career at OSU! Very cool. Go Pokes!

One point that has made me hesitant about the Nova is the "new" motor but I see it's been/being used on other larger models. I'm glad to hear that you like it. I'm between the Rikon and Nova. I'm also going to go to the Tulsa group and attend their woodturning meetings.
Congrats on your great career at OSU! Very cool. Go Pokes!
Pretty sure its different packaging of the same motor that has been in use for ~20yrs maybe - not sure just how long. That motor will make it the top midi lathe - you will be able to core bowls with it. It is also used in their line of drill presses.

Not sure of the Neptune pricing. Its possible that by the time a stand is included the price is almost as much as a full size stand alone lathe. Compare the total price to the Galaxi. The higher weight and outrigger capacity is worth several $100 in initial cost. Getting exposed to other turners equipment/methods/etc is really helpful.

If you fly fish, come up to Lebanon MO for a visit, give you a tour of my shop and possibly go with you to Bennett Spring for trout fishing

Nova is offering the Neptune on a 'beta' run @ $1350, no stand.
I appreciate your offer. I'd like to try to make that happen sometime. Thanks.

Says the motor maintains torque at low speeds, and it quite possibly does. But the advantage of a step pulley set up is that it doesn't just maintain motor torque, it multiplys it. I would be curious to see how well this lathe would turn a large diameter at a low speed. Also, an electronic brake with a threaded spindle? Hope its got a drawbar, or some way to keep the chuck on the spindle.

Says the motor maintains torque at low speeds, and it quite possibly does. But the advantage of a step pulley set up is that it doesn't just maintain motor torque, it multiplys it. I would be curious to see how well this lathe would turn a large diameter at a low speed. Also, an electronic brake with a threaded spindle? Hope its got a drawbar, or some way to keep the chuck on the spindle.
My Galaxi I believe has the same motor. At lower speeds, and particularly below 5-600 rpm, it has much more torque than my club’s Jet 16” vfd drive lathes in low speed - Trying to core on one would be an all day affair, while mine chews right through the wood. Both running on 120V.

Electronic brake - yes, works great. It is programmable for the amount of braking. I use set screws in all of my chucks for this reason, and I hollow in reverse. Stops quite a bit faster than the Jets at the club. The advantage is when you want to take a quick look at progress, faster stop/starts.

The motor returns to the last speed it was at, as will a vfd lathe if the pot is not touched. I really like the speed presets vs a pot. The vfd pots Ive used can be difficult to adjust with the drive in hi speed, very small movements jump several 100 rpm. This behavior will be lathe and age specific.

Everyone has their individual opinions/preferences about things like this. Some strong opinions on both sides of the fence can be voiced. Part of the chaff you have to sort through.

Back