• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mini jigsaw mods

I have the Proxxon jigsaw and as good as it is it does struggle with hardwood. The blade is light weight thats very thin and breaks easily. So rather than buy 50-60 blades I thought I might try and mod it to accept a regular or standard jigsaw blades from my Bosch Jigsaw.
A simple mod that allows me to remove it if needs be and most of the alteration was to the new jigsaw blade so it would fit the Proxxon. It consists of a brass bush that a press fit into plastic blade guide that gives support to the larger blade. It works just fine and the only concern was the extra load on the motor and power pack might cause over heating on either one or both, so far I havent noticed and heat build up in fact it operates at pretty much the same temps by the feel of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.JPG
    IMG_2798.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2797.JPG
    IMG_2797.JPG
    504.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2790.JPG
    IMG_2790.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 17
Website
www.instagram.com
Hughie,
I'm curious about this tool. Do you use it to cut designs through the walls of your pieces? What do you recomment the maximum wall thickness to be if using the modified jigsaw and blades from your Bosch Jigsaw? I realize it may be a slow process considering the 1/8 H.P. motor. I am considering the same tool with the same modifications.
Thanks for sharing.
Al

I've visited your Facebook page.
Your work is fantastically crafted and very imaginative. It is amazing.

Thanks for the comments much appreciated.
I am always looking for easier ways to cut through the wall and this is the latest effort. I tend to aim for around 3-6mmwall thickness on the spiral pieces others 3-4mm. I dont think it will handle 6mm very well :( . The red blade shown in the original post is a bi-directional cut blade it works best, less tear out and splintering. The single direction cut without the circular action dont really cut at all.
What I would like is a mini jigsaw with the reciprocating/circular action of the big jigsaws and to date none seem to exist. So the Proxxon is the only one I could find
What I found with the original Proxxon blade is that its more suited to veneer and the blade will break very easily plus its very slow. This mod gives it the durability although speed of the cut is better its still slow and by the look of it I will be using it on softwood. The Australian hardwoods I like I fear will blow the Proxxon up :)
hope this helps, other get back to me

Back