• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

MiniShow Candidates

Couldn't put off a local minishow which lasts only six hours again, so I relented. Support of the Arts and all. Small spaces, so limited goods. Mostly hope to peddle some ornaments and maybe a turning or three to recover my entry fee. Figured I'd increase my salad bowl stock, because they sell pretty well in non-Christmas venues, and folks that buy 'em usually pick up a set of servers too. Which is what I'll be hitting the firewood pile for later today after the frost is gone.

Eight and two o'clock soft maple, ten is hard (plain) stuff, and four is cherry.

I really like the rim on the cherry, and hope to make a few similar. The hard maple was so plain I did a bit of jazzing to break the monotony. The broad, heavy based soft maple is the best salad bowl shape to my way of thinking, and innocent of edge treatment. The other soft maple borders on art. Walnut oil.

Attachments

• Salad-Foursome-Post.jpg
    Salad-Foursome-Post.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 202
  • Picture-Package-Four-Bowls.jpg
    Picture-Package-Four-Bowls.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 200
Website
www.ispinwood.com
It is always interesting to see how different people are attracted to different shapes, colors, and textures. You have a nice variety here. I like the maple with the rim treatment. They all look quite functional. I've found that even small diameter base pieces can be quite stable as long as a little extra weight is left in the bottom. For me, there is a certain feel in the hand that makes a difference too. Sometimes I make one that looks nice but doesn't quite feel right. Other times I surprise myself with hitting on a perfect combination.

Back