• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Moisture meter

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Honestly, I don't think a MM will do a whole lot for bowl turning - You'd find superior results going by weight over time. I weigh my rough outs in grams , and when they stop losing weight , generally means the wood has stabilized to environment, once you have that, there isn't much point in checking MC% as it will change as the environment changes. I have a MM, but only really use it to check slabs that have been cut out of a log (Too big to fit on scale) and the like, so it sees very little use otherwise.

*Edit to clarify:* Weights checked about once a month until there's very little change in weight, then checked once a week for a couple or 3 more weeks, and if weight fluctuates (goes up and down, which it sometimes never does) during that time, it's pretty much seen as dry and stabilized.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Weight is the most accurate and time consuming.
I do mostly hollow forms and NE bowls so I don’t dry many bowls. I have used a two pin mini-lingo for 30 years.
I test the peak on the rim and tenon. If I get readings less than 9.5 I will return the bowl. Works for me,

When air drying wood the first step is find the humidity and temperature of your drying area.
My drying room has a dehumidifier suet at 50% and average temp of 70+
My bowls will dry to 9.2 to 9.1 percent MC when they reach equilibrium. They never get any dryer.
IMG_0816.jpeg

I twice turn and use a lignomat pinless, it measures down to 3/4" Never used weight. Looks too dang complicated

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Honestly, I don't think a MM will do a whole lot for bowl turning - You'd find superior results going by weight over time.

I agree with Brian.

However, I use my moisture meter on every bowl I turn.....but, only to get an initial idea of what to expect in the seasoning process. I could do exactly the same thing without the MM, but I'm glad I have it. The readout need not be extremely accurate....close is good enough for my purposes.

-o-

Checking weight works well for me, its quick and simple. Piece goes in a paper bag, taped closed with 2” painters tape, date, s/n, wt are written on the tape. Each time its weighed the date & wt are written on the tape. Never use my MM for turnings.

Welcome to the forum Ivan! I purchased this one about a year ago, and use it occasionally. But like several folks have said, it is more just to give me a general idea of what I’m looking at then to use for a precise measurement. Therefore I don’t think any more expensive is necessary. My drying routine is all over the place. I’ve got a 55 gallon cardboard drum filled with drying bowls, lots of brown paper bags, a homemade drying box for pieces I want to get to pretty soon, and just open shelves for the general inventory that I’m not too concerned about. In most cases I weigh, as Brian said, and note the date and weight on the bowl. When it has stabilized (or at least is losing negligible weight) it’s ready to re-turn. 1702298304090.png1702298304090.png

Good question. I don’t have a moisture meter but feel I need to have one in with my “turning accessories“ drawer. Some wood is heavy when picked up, and is obviously wet, while others are heavy and dry as a bone. I don’t think you have to spend a lot, but I’m curious what others will say.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I have a good pinless meter, but I've never used it on bowl blanks. I have a postage scale that goes up to like 50 kg on one of my benches, it's faster to weigh the blank than it is to find the meter. I write the weight on the blank with a carpenter's pencil. With a pin-type meter used on flat work I inevitably ended up with pinholes in my finished piece; usually not noticeable enough to be problem, but irritating nevertheless.

Mostly I'm so far behind that I'm final turning bowls that I roughed 3-5 years ago, they are either dry enough or they are never going to be dry! Once they are a couple years old I don't bother to check. There's a big pile of them up in the hayloft.

I have a pin type from canadian tire. Probably not overly accurate but at t his point I have enough bowls drying that I'm returning bowls from a couple of years ago. I don't even weigh anymore.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
I agree with Brian.

However, I use my moisture meter on every bowl I turn.....but, only to get an initial idea of what to expect in the seasoning process. I could do exactly the same thing without the MM, but I'm glad I have it. The readout need not be extremely accurate....close is good enough for my purposes.

-o-

Same here. I get a general idea of current content, and note that along with the initial weight. I check again with the meter when it appears to have stopped losing weight. In between, it gets regular weigh-ins.

Honestly, I don't think a MM will do a whole lot for bowl turning - You'd find superior results going by weight over time. I weigh my rough outs in grams , and when they stop losing weight , generally means the wood has stabilized to environment, once you have that, there isn't much point in checking MC% as it will change as the environment changes. I have a MM, but only really use it to check slabs that have been cut out of a log (Too big to fit on scale) and the like, so it sees very little use otherwise.

*Edit to clarify:* Weights checked about once a month until there's very little change in weight, then checked once a week for a couple or 3 more weeks, and if weight fluctuates (goes up and down, which it sometimes never does) during that time, it's pretty much seen as dry and stabilized.
yup I have one, thought I needed one. But in reality rarely use it, weight is a simple and effective way of sorting things out. The lighter it gets, the dryer it is then follow that with mass collection :D my favourite method eventually you will have a stockpile of wet, drying, and dried

Back