• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Morse Taper Adapter

I'm getting a drill bit holder to go in the tail stock. It's only available in a MT1 so I have to get an adapter. I don't know if it needs to be a MT1 to MT2, or, MT2 to MT1. My interpretation is that a MT1 to MT2 is sized to accept the MT1 bit holder (female end of adapter), and the male end of the adapter is the MT2 which goes into the tail stock. Is my interpretation correct, or do I need the MT2 to MT1 adapter? Thanks.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I'm getting a drill bit holder to go in the tail stock. It's only available in a MT1 so I have to get an adapter. I don't know if it needs to be a MT1 to MT2, or, MT2 to MT1. My interpretation is that a MT1 to MT2 is sized to accept the MT1 bit holder (female end of adapter), and the male end of the adapter is the MT2 which goes into the tail stock. Is my interpretation correct, or do I need the MT2 to MT1 adapter? Thanks.
I assume you mean a Jacobs (type) chuck. Keep in mind that an adaptor will extend the distance which may cause some sloppiness. Better off getting a MT2 that matches the taper on the chuck like in the chart that Lou posted (top one).

@TomGall - it's actually not a Jacobs chuck, but a Maxicut Rotostop Morse Taper Extension, which accepts the Maxicut bit. As Colt is no longer in business, the only extension I could find has a MT1, thus the need for the adapter to hold the bit in the tail stock (which is a MT2).

Back