• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Moving Large/Heavy Pieces of Wood

Interesting ideas. But I notice that no one talks much about how to get a tree trunk out of your pickup or off your trailer. :)
If log is too heavy to lift then tie a chain around the log (or use sturdy log tongs) and then around a sturdy tree. Drive the trailer forward as the log gets pulled off the trailer & dropped to the ground.

I had a huge piece of myrtle in the back of my cargo van. Drove some steel stakes in the ground, put a chain on the log chunk, and drove off. Worked fine. Some times you can lever it up a bit and put a round dowel of some sort under it and it will roll a lot easier.

robo hippy

For harvesting on uneven terrain, I've gone out with friends who had a little DR Power Wagon and it was a lifesaver. Basically a powered wheelbarrow. Here's a link to look at:
For boosting logs up onto the cutting cradle on my tailgate, I modified an inexpensive ATV lift from Harbor Freight. It's a little clunky but it gets the job done and saves my back. Wish I'd done this _before_ the herniated disc...

Attachments

• down.jpg
    down.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 55
  • lifted.jpg
    lifted.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 67
I like how you used a cut off to block the wheels! And the 2 by 6 to keep it from rolling off the end.

robo hippy

This is the biggest one I've handled. The client brought it on a trailer. Pry bars and black pipe got the 4' long log off the trailer. Kinda sounded like thunder when it hit the ground.

Attachments

• biglog2.jpg
    biglog2.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 45
Back