• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Multi center bowl ideas?

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Can you brainstorm a problem with me?
- Nice rosewood burl, one side flat, 8" wide, 13" long and 7" at deepest point
- Want to turn 2 bowls into flat side, burl side down, and stand on 3 or 4 turned ebonized legs into burl side

The one (scary) idea I have for mounting (on my PM3520):
- predrill leg holes (maybe angled) and use these as standoffs for mounting to plywood plate. perhaps use 3/8" brass threaded inserts inside leg holes, and threaded rod for mounting and adjusting. Re-use threaded inserts for eccentric turned legs. Or tap for 1/2" threaded rod and fill in for more modest legs.
- use large face plate and mount twice on plywood plate for two bowls

If you don't have any other ideas do you think this can work? Of course I would prototype it on a smaller scale and wear bullet proof vest, while turning at 30 rpm, with tail stock up as long as possible, or even all the way and sand off the nub inside.

Website
www.turnlinks.com
Donut chuck?

What about a donut chuck to clamp the burl in and then turn the bowls through the hole. This would allow you to add balance weights to the donut chuck to even out the off-centre burl. I have used this method with success and you can then choose where you want the feet to be rather than having the bowls dictating where they should be.

Website
www.aoturnings.com
I like the donut chuck idea. I just would like to add that when mounting, use a thick, high density foam at the headstock side (below the natural edge of the burl). This will help you get better grip and balance (I think).

Putting a thin foam at the flat face might help too. Thin mouse pads comes to mind for this. Better yet, if you can, see if you can secure the natural edge at the flat edge to the donut chuck with screws (not going through the wood). You can pad the screws with rubber washers for this.

Good luck!!!

Hey Jerhall,

Take a look at my gallery. I do off center burl cap bowls leaving the entire bottom natural edge. I also have an idea for doing multiple bowls (holes) in one burl. Write me and I'll hook you up.

Back