• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My 1st Project: Christmas Tree Goblets

I wanted to share my 1st project with all of you.

We've got a ritual we started 2 years ago since we moved to the mountains. We go into the forest and cut down a Christmas tree. In early January when we take the tree down we cut off the branches and put them in the yard for the deer to eat. Then in the spring I gather the branches and the trunk, cut them into firewood size lengths and then stack them up to dry.

Kind of a recycling thing.. none of the tree goes to waste.

Now that I have a lathe I wanted the 1st turning project to be something meaningful, a keepsake if you will, so I decided to make a small goblet from the trunk of the tree.

001.JPG

I made a wooden face plate out of plywood so I could attach the tree trunk (since I don't have a chuck... yet ;)).

Prior to attaching the trunk to the face plate I squared up one end and left a small tenon that would engage into the face plate center hole... just to help line things up.

I used the drill chuck out of my drill press, which just happens to have the same taper as the tail stock on my lathe, to hold the spade bit for boring into the trunk.

Next step was to turn the goblet. I left some bark on the bottom.. as an homage to the tree.

The 2017 Christmas Tree goblet came out great. The 2018 worked well too, but the wood was still green so I couldn't get a good finish. I'm betting it will crack so I've stashed the remaining 2018 tree trunk in the woodshed. I may make another goblet next year from it once it dries.

So what do you think?

002.JPG 002b.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Terrific for a first project and Nice method to make the tall goblets. Flutes?
Good luck with the drying.
Keep them in paper bags or something to slow the drying.

If you are looking for some other styles of goblets to turn from the round logs here are a couple ideas.

Lots of people turn natural edge narrow stem goblets from 2-4” diameter logs.
The narrow stem has a lot more success drying when the pith is not in the center of the wood.
Also when all parts are thin and they have nice curves they dry quickly.

I put the NE on the rim( makes it unusable)
These are most easily turned when held in a 4 jaw chuck
3” diameter oak NE Goblet It warps 79BB4C24-ADD7-4A8F-A3D3-92EC569AEDEE.jpeg the pith is off center717DEA48-F8F8-4CE4-8887-725189365AFF.jpeg
not sanded.

2 recent posts in the gallery show other styles

Another possible project like @John Rander posted
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?media/natural-edge-ogee-bowl.16295/

Another take on NE goblets by @Carl Ford
http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?media/ring-tool-cedar-vases-10-2018.16248/

Back