• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My cheap angle drill/ sander died the other night

So in the interest of experimenting I went and dug my dental lathe out of the garage. It's two speed a 1725 or so and a 3000 something rpm (like my accuracy?)

Anyway I'm going to order a flex cable from the big river place and give it a shot. The only problem is I can't find one with an angled head so I'm going to have to live with a straight shaft sander. I remember someone saying they had good results with theirs. Any ideas or places to check for a flex shaft with an angle head on it
This whole thing might not work but I figure the drill that died was 1400 rpms I believe, so it will be a little faster. Too fast?

And for the record I actually found one of the nicest customer service reps for the manufacturer I have ever dealt with. She would have warrantied the drill and sent me a new one but they have discontinued making them and the big river place has the last of them and I don't know if you have ever tried to talk to a real person there. It's impossible. There are so many hoops to jump through blocking you from dealing with someone in person it is unreal. It was past their 30 day return. Mine made it a whole six months with frequent blowing out of dust.

I made a video, but we can't post videos?

Last edited:
Milwaukee does make a right angle set up that can be fitted onto a flex shaft. I did pick up one from King Arthur tools. Their motor runs at 3200, which to me is way too fast. You can hook the flex shaft to a mini lathe, but I need reverse on mine since I always sand in reverse. The angle drills can be good for several hundred bowls. I have used the Milwaukee forever. Main 2 things that make it last longer is light pressure, and never more than half speed. The slower speeds do cut better than higher speeds. I never blow the dust out of mine. Doesn't seem to make any difference. For a while, I got some fancy sealed bearings for repairing my drills when they died, and that didn't really seem to make much difference.

robo hippy

Milwaukee does make a right angle set up that can be fitted onto a flex shaft. I did pick up one from King Arthur tools. Their motor runs at 3200, which to me is way too fast. You can hook the flex shaft to a mini lathe, but I need reverse on mine since I always sand in reverse. The angle drills can be good for several hundred bowls. I have used the Milwaukee forever. Main 2 things that make it last longer is light pressure, and never more than half speed. The slower speeds do cut better than higher speeds. I never blow the dust out of mine. Doesn't seem to make any difference. For a while, I got some fancy sealed bearings for repairing my drills when they died, and that didn't really seem to make much difference.

robo hippy
So I should be better with the 1700 rpm setting hopefully? If nothing else I'll dedicate it to finishing the very bottom of the bowl flat surface. But it would be nice to get into the inside curves.

I gave up on the woodwonders angle drills. They sent a new one when the first burnt up. I’ve set the new one aside for drilling. Sanding with a drill is awful! The weight and noise alone makes me leave it on the bench.
The cable drive is the way to go. Not sure about the one you bought, but the Guinevere cable is nice. The handle is comfortable, the chuck is small enough to be out of the way. You may find that being able to hold it like a pencil gets you into the places where you like the angle head.
Although some do it, the cable drives are one way only. It tends to unwind (birds nest) if you load it in reverse. Since we can run the work in either direction, the ‘forward only‘ on the cable isn‘t an issue.
I run mine from my old craftsman lathe headstock. I think I run it at 2500.

That looks just like the Guinevere except for the keyless chuck. Keyless is nice, the extra size not. Not sure which I would prefer?
As mentioned in the reviews, the cable will twist up if too much pressure is used. Not a big deal for me, although I think the issue would go away if the outer cable were held at the drive end. Stopping it from rotating would prevent cable twisting.

I hope you’ll report on your experience.

Marc

That looks just like the Guinevere except for the keyless chuck. Keyless is nice, the extra size not. Not sure which I would prefer?
As mentioned in the reviews, the cable will twist up if too much pressure is used. Not a big deal for me, although I think the issue would go away if the outer cable were held at the drive end. Stopping it from rotating would prevent cable twisting.

Marc
I don't know......I'm a pretty quiet person...... (Wanna buy a bridge?)

Marc

How bad could something go wrong with this item? lol 1500 rpms though.

I'm not feeling the flex shaft so much.

The motor being down under the lathe on a shelf isn't convenient for me and when I want to change the wood turners wonders roloc discs it takes a while for it to quit spinning before you can do that. Then I'm used to two handing a sander and the chuck head is right where I keep wanting to put my other hand. But it will be a back up if needed. The quietness is nice. And I can build my shelf up but as of now still no love.

Does anyone use a random orbit polisher/sander 2 and 3 inch? I see one on amazon and wonder how long it would last. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTDLQ37...BDREU8E0&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:
I'm still sold on this Bosch adjustable angle cordless drill as the best solution. Really slow speeds plus the adjustable head make it really nice for reaching in the bowls. https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS11-102-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Capacity/dp/B00BD5G3UC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1M6ESMIO6FJ7H&keywords=bosch+cordless+right+angle+drill&qid=1685635466&s=hi&sprefix=bosch+cordless+right+angle+drill,tools,103&sr=1-3
I'm also curious about the battery life using this cordless drill for sanding. It looks like a size that would be comfortable to hold while sanding. I have a Bosch 12V brushless (not adjustable angle version) drill/driver so have some of the batteries already.

Last edited:
Back