• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mystery mold on red oak bark, safe or not?

I'm hoping someone can give a definitive answer on whether I need to be concerned about the mold I found growing on a red oak crotch that I was about to cut into blanks. The wood has been in a closed barn for a couple years, but the mold only appeared in the last few weeks. I don't have a problem with getting rid of the wood if it's not safe to work with, but I'd like to use it if it's not risky.

MoldOnOakBark.jpgMoldOnOakBark2.jpg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Gary has a decent idea, but I'd still be intensely curious exactly what it is, I'd think mold would need dampness and moisture to get started and grow , and if it has been in a closed barn for that long, have to wonder if it is actually mold and not some variety of lichen or other organism (or bug/beetle eggs?) Plus, I'd think it more likely to show up on the wood itself instead of bark - Perhaps if you were to remove the bark, you could work the wood while sending a sample of the bark infestation to interested parties (or a university lab or some such?)

Well, I don't know. One interesting comment from Seri Robinson, aka Dr. Spalt, to the question about the spalting fungi being toxic to humans, she said that they all are designed to work on wood, not meat. I would guess the same with that mold. The problem with reactions with fungi is the other stuff on the forest floor. Worse yet is the barn yard dirt...

robo hippy

I think I'll follow Gary's suggestion and burn whatever it is with a propane torch outside before I remove the bark, also outside, with an air chisel.
The barn isn't particularly dry, so it can get pretty humid and musty in there.

Edit: Just found this after some searching:

Botrytis cinerea, also known as grey mold, is generally not dangerous to humans but it could cause a respiratory allergic reaction in some. The allergic reaction is also referred to as 'winegrower's lung' which is a type of hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

I think I'll still burn it off and remove the bark before I bring it into my garage/shop. Better to play it safe. I wear a 3M PAPR most of the time when I work out there too.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there would be someone over at MSU who would be able to tell you what organism you are dealing with, and then the level of concern you might need to have. If you decide to go that route, I'd start with the Extension Service, or maybe the Plant disease Diagnostic Lab. They are probably more used to dealing with apple diseases, but they know what they're doing and it would be a free service to you.

Back