• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mystery wood

Got some wood today....need some help on identification. The tree was S.E. of Portland, Oregon, in a back yard, so it may have started life in a pot at some nursery. The tree was cut down very recently. It was about 50' tall, and It had a canopy and bark similar to a Maple, but there the similarity ends. The leaves look much like Black Walnut. The main trunk, approximately 3' in diameter, rose some5', then branched to two or three major limbs of about 12" to 18" diameter. The tree has a shape very much an Oak. The leaves, when wiped with the hand, impart a not disagreeable odor briefly. The wood has nice coloration, browns in the heart, running to yellows toward the bark. Rather large (1/2") pith, cuts nice with the chainsaw whether crosscutting or ripping. Growth rings on main trunk about 1/2" apart. Owner says it was planted some 30 years ago, and he calls it "Paradise Tree". It had small seeds which were very prolific but tree did not sucker. Could find no reference on the net or in my woods library. Anybody turn this before and do you have further info?? :confused:

Last edited:
Website
www.zionfire.com
I'm in Kansas City, and we have a similar tree, also identified as a Paradise Tree. We had one cut out of the back yard after it destroyed a 100 year old stone retaining wall. :mad:

The tree service guys identified it as such. I said, "Hey, I'm a wood turner. That great looking heart wood and that great looking sap wood...gee, it'd make some lovely projects." He smiled knowingly and said, "You want to try? We view them as weeds. But be my guest." I could not handle the trunk. Not enough lathe. Did not dare leave it in my yard as the city's yard police and I don't get along already. Sigh. I should have questioned him further. The knowing smile should have given it away. I was smitten by the "freewood" bug". Deadly bug it is, too.

I had a couple of nice branches, maybe 6 or 8" in diameter. Painted them puppies up good with Anchorseal. I could not get to them for turning right away, so thought Anchorseal would give me time. Within a week I checked 'em out, and there was a whopping big crack. Not a mere check, mind you. End to end, 1/2" wide, most all the way across the heartwood. I don't have use for firewood, so I couldn't even use it for that! Too big to grind up. Chunks to the dumpster. Sigh again.

Unless your Paradise Tree is different from my Paradise Tree, leave the sucker in Eden and don't waste time or energy.

Paradise Tree

Thanks for the feed-back, Dean. I got some rounds that are over 33" in diameter. They are freshly cut from the main log (WET!!) and I immediately ripped them in two and four pieces through the pith, and slopped on Anchorseal on all saw cuts. Stored it in my (A/C) shop. I'm gonna try to green-turn some and green saw some into boards. HHHMMMM..... :D

Look up Pauloma. See if that's what it is. If so, it's a rapid growing tree that is used extensively in some parts of the world as a farmed wood. There's also a growth industry in the US. Not in the actual growing of the wood but in the selling of franchise starter settups to grow the wood.

Dietrich

Back