• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

navigation in forum and gallery

Website
www.woodturner.org
When in the gallery there are no links to go back to the combo page, the forum, or AAW homepage. Chris - why did you let me get away with this? :)

Members - If you see other nav links that should be there lemme know. I think the main website has sufficient navlinks to get in but once you're in it should be easy to get around too.

I'll also add a link to the AAW homepage from all pages.

Website
www.woodturner.org
I was supposed to read those? :D
Do you see anything else we should change (i mean me?)

I'm going to change one other thing. The default view when you go to Photos -> Main shows only 3 rows x 4 (12) pics. I'm going to increase that to 10 rows.

Last edited:
Website
www.woodturner.org
New navigation link added.
When you are in the photo forum (or photo area) the upper top left menu now has a link:
Forum Combo Page

That allows you to go back to the new Forum "Home" from the photo area.

Thanks to Chris for researching how to add that link...it's in a pretty complicated PHP file.

Website
woodturners.underthecouch.com
Master slideshow?

Jeff, thanks for that link. I noticed the same thing, about not have a way to return (except the 'back' button).

Can I throw out another idea? I notice there's an option to start a slideshow of each members' work once you click into a thumbnail from the gallery page. Could we get a slideshow set up that is similar to WOW's, i.e., once you click into a piece, there's an option to click to the next/previous detailed view on file, no matter the member? I'm sure you know what I mean.

Thanks for all your work on these pages, it offers a great opportunity for us to showcase our work.

rick

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
Ask and you shall receive...

Rick,

There is already an "all members" slideshow available. It must not be that obvious (I have played with every switch and button here, so understandably I found it).

When you go to the Gallery main page, in the upper right hand corner there are 4 links. Recent posts: Last day, last 7 days, last 14 days, all images.

If you click one of those links, it will filter the site to only show the images during the period you selected. The lower slideshow previews will now be for the photos during that period.

Let me know if I need to explain this better.
Chris

Website
www.woodturner.org
Chris is correct. I will add that the combo (entry) page also shows the most recent postings. I arbitrarily programmed that to have 15 pics (3 rows of 5). I can expand that number. My personal preference would be to have 25-30. But let's wait a few weeks before I make "heavy" changes like that. Then Chris and I will run a mini-poll, and we can restructure the site based on group input.

Other things we can do is restructure the combo page so the forum links appear first, and the pictures later. Can also make easy links to get to content such as "show slideshow of past 14 days of postings".

Rick - Usage questions such as yours are very helpful because they help us identify hidden areas or how this area of the site should get restructured.

Navigation

Jeff, In my Profile when I try to select "Find all posts by Bob Edwards"

I am told "Sorry, no matches"

I have tried your Profile and it works there! What am I doing wrong?

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com

Bob,

The profiles are specific to the forums and will only show forum postings when you attempt that search. It doesn't take into consideration the photo postings or comments as that is a separate database. If you were to click on the "show all postings by..." link now, you'd notice that this thread will show in the listing now that you have posted in the forums.

Jeff,

the link Bob is referring to is in the individual member's profile. You can also access it by left clicking on their name in a thread. Numerous options appear in a drop down list when you do this.

Last edited:
Chris has it right. I thought a post was a post. I had only posted pictures and comments on pictures. These are not considered as posts for this purpose. Thanks guys, I'm a little slow but I get there!!

Website
woodturners.underthecouch.com
Source of confusion..

Jeff/Chris,

OK, now I see where my confusion lies. If I go to the Gallery main screen, I do see the four links for the previous picture posts. But if I go to the Combo page, those four links aren't there. I have been using the combo page as my 'home' page, so I could get to both the pictures and the forum.

One more addition I might suggest is a 'date posted' line on the photos.

thanks,

rick

Back