• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need advise on new lathe

I have been turning on a Delta 46-460 lathe for two years. Recently the speed controller has started to go bad. Replacing the speed controller if I can find the part will be expensive so I’m thinking of upgrading to a Laguna 1836 lathe or 1216 with the bed extension. From what I read with the extension mounted on the opposite side of the head stock it increases the swing to 16”.
The 1216 would be fine for me if there is enough power to do bowls up to 16”. Does anyone have any experience outboard turning on this lathe?

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Forecast is for rain on your parade: A quick check of the controller part number (5140059-15) seems to be about $260 -- a lot cheaper to replace that than buying one of those Lagunas. You may want to fix it anyway so that you can sell it; otherwise the lathe isn't worth much more than scrap weight.

Now, go ahead and get that new lathe. I consider the max capacity of any lathe about 2" less than the stated swing. If you really want to turn a 16" finished bowl, then the 18" lathe would fit your wants better.

I have a 12/16 and love it but you won't be able to turn a 16 inch bowl. The most you'll be able to turn is 10" if you want the banjo to slide under your piece, closer to 12 if you don't. With the bed extension you can outboard turn a 16 inch bowl.

As Mike said if under warranty make a call. Also agree with Curtis, get a full size lathe if you get another one. Take a look at the Grizzly G0766 and the Nova Galaxi. I chose the Nova because of the pivoting headstock and bolt on outboard rest - I much prefer hollowing, sanding, and finishing bowls with them hanging off the side or end and the tailstock doesnt have to be removed.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have been turning on a Delta 46-460 lathe for two years. Recently the speed controller has started to go bad.

Would you elaborate on what you mean by "go bad"? Unless it is completely dead, the problem can often be easily fixed by replacing a switch or potentiometer. I think that wanting to get a new larger lathe is always a good plan, but don't let your current lathe become a boat anchor. :D

Thanks for all the reply’s. I did buy it used so no warranty but I did find someone to repair my speed controller (olduhfguy.com) I mailed it out to him hopefully he can repair it. He says most repairs are $50 plus shipping. I think I am going to to go with the laguna 1836. It’s quite a bit more but I think it’s the right size for me. I’m a new member and really appreciate all the advise.

Just a little warning. Laguna electronics are sometimes more than a little funky.

Last Saturday I tried to start a class with 5 Laguna 12 inch Revo machines. Two would only run in reverse. (I was told this was a knowm issue after two students had to wait 30 minutes while fiddling with the wires "recitfied" the problem. Two others (on a twenty amp circuit) blew a breaker.

At best this was a 40 % failure rate.

These machines are about two months old and use once or twice a month for classes.

Read up on YouTube about the problems some Laguna owners
have had!!!!!!!

I have an 18/36 Laguna ..I would not buy another.

My probs are..
It is black...sawdust.. on the legs sticks out like a big sore thumb.

I know sawdust probs only bother me....an not you normal guys

I struggle and stuggle wwith the banjo not moving smoothy on the ways. since day one....I go to Rockler and their 18/36 is smooth
as a bowling alley. I clean it everyday.Boe
shield product.
and monkey with the highly technical 7/8 in nut underneath
for a yr now....If you cannot move the banjo smooly with one
hand there is a prob...
That reminds me....I need to put a long straight edge level
check the ways for level..Is it possible the ways are uneven

Oh yeah the tailstock lever on the backside of the tailstock
crunches my hand against the outboard big lathelight holder platform which also supports the copy bar that connects to the other.

Now I realize these are minor problems...and not motor or
spindle or electronic big buck probs..
And the Laguna 18/36 is priced for us guys an gals that
dont wanta pay an arm an leg for a lathe...

Then I am the guy that after putting my brand new18/36 together.
and it would not start up....
I called Laguna. guess what he said!!!!!!!
"did you pull out the big red safety shut off switch?" ???

So get the best one you can afford!!!!

I wanna get a Harvey!!!!!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Read up on YouTube about the problems some Laguna owners
have had!!!!!!!

I have an 18/36 Laguna ..I would not buy another.

My probs are..
It is black...sawdust.. on the legs sticks out like a big sore thumb.

I know sawdust probs only bother me....an not you normal guys

I struggle and stuggle wwith the banjo not moving smoothy on the ways. since day one....I go to Rockler and their 18/36 is smooth
as a bowling alley. I clean it everyday.Boe
shield product.
and monkey with the highly technical 7/8 in nut underneath
for a yr now....If you cannot move the banjo smooly with one
hand there is a prob...
That reminds me....I need to put a long straight edge level
check the ways for level..Is it possible the ways are uneven

Oh yeah the tailstock lever on the backside of the tailstock
crunches my hand against the outboard big lathelight holder platform which also supports the copy bar that connects to the other.

Now I realize these are minor problems...and not motor or
spindle or electronic big buck probs..
And the Laguna 18/36 is priced for us guys an gals that
dont wanta pay an arm an leg for a lathe...

Then I am the guy that after putting my brand new18/36 together.
and it would not start up....
I called Laguna. guess what he said!!!!!!!
"did you pull out the big red safety shut off switch?" ???

So get the best one you can afford!!!!

I wanna get a Harvey!!!!!
Life is too short to turn on a lathe that you are not happy with. Put the Laguna on Craigslist and buy the lathe of your dreams. I did, I now have 2 lathes side by side in my shop, a Stubby 750 and a 1000. I sit in my Lazy Boy recliner chair at the end of the day and I have a hard time wiping the smile off my face. Go for it, have fun.

You got me rethinking the Laguna. The only other one in that price range that I’ve been looking at was the Grizzly 0766 which looks like a pretty good lathe. It seam to me the past problems have been worked out.

I bought the Grizzly G0766 last year and it's been great. No problems. 3 hp, 22" swing. I don't think I'll be outgrowing this one. I've read that the potentiometer (speed control dial) is the weak link on my lathe but it's a $5.00 part and about 10 minutes to replace.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thanks all for your replies. I just ordered the
Jet 1840evs, it’s not as large or as powerful as the G0766 but I was impressed by the 5 year warranty, has good reviews, and it didn’t hurt that it was on sale.
I think you will be pleased.
personally, I don’t see how they can sell powermatics when the price differential is $2000.
i did a demo a couple of months ago on a 1840 really nice machine.

I got the Grizzly 0766 the first hour they became available on Jan. 1, 2015. Mine was probably one of the first two or three units sold here in America. Just a few months ago I put a new potentiometer on my G0766, not because I had to, but because I wanted to [a 10 minute task]. When they first hit our shores they still had the metric specs, like the 25mm post on the tool rest, and were .0010 too large on the spindle boss for aftermarket chuck inserts, [.0260, and most inserts are in the neighborhood of .0250]so a small file held against it while the lathe ran at about 500 rpm's did the trick. [BTW, Grizzly chucks always fit, so it may have been something to sell their chucks, perhaps?] Took about 4 minutes stopping a few times to test the fit. Now they have all that sorted out as Grizzly has paid attention to customer feedback.

I've gotten such good service and performance from my former G0698 lathe [which is still going strong at my club after 15 years] and my G0766, that two years ago, I also put a G0800 in my shop.....a really premium turning machine. I've cored, and turned big heavy wood on the G0766 and my G0800........both handled anything I threw at them. I'm a really happy camper and have the best value on the market in large lathes.

While Powermatics are twice the price with a longer warranty, my personal feeling is they are not better lathes.....I've turned and demo'ed on many Powermatics, which I believe are fine machines, and I'd recommend them easily. The G0766 and especially the G0800 are just as good in performance and I've had zero problems, other than that potentiometer, which only had one spot where it developed a slight pause, but was functioning otherwise. I bought 2 replacements at $4, and I think the replacements they are putting out have been improved as the new one I put in has a more solid feel in the turning mechanism than the original one had.

The upper end Grizzly lathes have become state of the art, and are fine turning platforms, and a good value.

Just a little warning. Laguna electronics are sometimes more than a little funky.

Last Saturday I tried to start a class with 5 Laguna 12 inch Revo machines. Two would only run in reverse. (I was told this was a knowm issue after two students had to wait 30 minutes while fiddling with the wires "recitfied" the problem. Two others (on a twenty amp circuit) blew a breaker.

At best this was a 40 % failure rate.

These machines are about two months old and use once or twice a month for classes.
I own a Revo 1216 and just got it fixed. it would slow down in the middle of a cut, start running in reverse while running in forward. Laguna recently sent me parts to fix it after I responded to an advertisement that they had sent me. I sent them a reply to the advertisement telling me that their quality was not that good and when I did upgrade I would not be buying a Laguna.
They asked me if I was having problems with the lathe I explained the situation they promptly sent me a new digital readout and a forward and reverse switch. So far the problem is fixed. My question is why do we have to purchase equipment pay good money for it and k n o w we're going to have to fix it.
Laguna has electrical problems which they're well aware of but they do nothing but send out spare parts if you ask for them. Powermatic has been known for having problems with the vfd and charge you $600 for a new one if you need it. As far as I can see we only have one option and that's to buy a ROBUST wood lathe that I feel is way Out Of Reach of the average woodturner. I understand the quality cost money but in the $3,500 to to $5,000 range some company should be able to make a dependable wood lathe.
Powermatic and Laguna could both have sold me a lathe if I would not have the Gnawlng feeling I would be stuck fixing it.

Hello Jerry, and welcome to the forum...... I myself, like Doug mentioned...... I needed a lathe that had a rotating headstock so I decided on the Jet 1640 and I really like it. It is much easier on my back to rotate the head when I get ready to work on the inside of a bowl. Do your research and you'll find the lathe that fits your needs! :) Happy Turning!!

FYI

I do not own a Jet lathe.....

But....I have never heard of a complaint
or problem with a Jet lathe...

Now I have not done research on probs
with Jet lathes. I am sure someone must have had a prob with one....I judt have not heard of them.

FYI

I do not own a Jet lathe.....

But....I have never heard of a complaint
or problem with a Jet lathe...

Now I have not done research on probs
with Jet lathes. I am sure someone must have had a prob with one....I judt have not heard of them.
Its not Jet's fault, but I had a power surge that blew out the VFD on my Jet 1642. It cost me about $900 for a new one, about 1/2 the price I paid for it. I now unplug it when not in use.
I also had a problem with the alignment of the headstock and tailstock, but a little judicious sanding took care of that.

Has anybody heard anything about Oneway wood lathes? I don't really see much online about unboxings of of new Oneway wood lathes the last few years. Captain Eddie Castelin use one for a long time and a lot of well-known Turners speak highly of them but you just don't see much new information from the company or people discussing their purchases online. All information on the company website seems to be dated.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Has anybody heard anything about Oneway wood lathes? I don't really see much online about unboxings of of new Oneway wood lathes the last few years. Captain Eddie Castelin use one for a long time and a lot of well-known Turners speak highly of them but you just don't see much new information from the company or people discussing their purchases online. All information on the company website seems to be dated.
ONEWAY still make the best top teir lathe. Anyone who wants to turn big stuff will likely get a ONEWAY
anyone who recognizes the production advantages of the outboard will likely get a ONEWAY.
these features are not important to most turners.

Oneway no longer dominates the the top tier market like they did in the days where Stubby was their major competitor.
Robust and Vicmarc take a good bit of the top tier lathe market, and the second tier lathe market is not dominated by Powermatic like it was. Also the lathes in the second tier market are getting so good there is little need for most turners to move to the high end.

Robust gets a lot of publicity. For three reasons.

1. it is well engineered and thing a Beauty. - a super Lathe like the ONEWAY. Both are a pleasure to turn on.

2. @Brent@TurnRobust is a marketing genius. He established a network of dealers that reads like a who’s who in woodturning. These dealers have a huge presence as demonstrators and teachers. through the teaching and demonstrating they each come in contact with hundreds or thousands of turners Each year.
pre-covid, I would see the Clays( ONEWAY ) once a year at the AAW symposium. I might see a dozen Robust dealers in year outside of the AAW symposium and have one stay at my house every other year.

3. Robust AB has design advantages with a smaller footprint that fits garage shops quite well - a ONEWAY 2436 with an outboard table is 2x - 3x the floor space. Few turners need extra weight of the ONEWAY over the compact size of the AB. The Robust shock absorber swing away is so mesmerizing few people realize it takes more effort than the ONEWAY swing away. When you demo on a Robust AB and use the swing away how can you not say “how cool is that.”

Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Thing is, older I get the more I learn not to trust reviews and ratings that are based on 5-year-old (or older) machines... I myself would like to see newer reviews and "unboxings" from more recent purchases.. because I have found, even when some brand has had a long (decades long) reputation for top tier quality, even they can sometimes fall victim to the false economy of building cheaper to try and maintain market share Vs. the china-built competition with no quality control (from my personal experience, just look at Stihl for example.. in the pro landscaper market they have been losing a lot of ground the last several years as their formerly consistent top notch quality has fallen by the wayside.. much of their consumer and mid-level product being made in china, far as I have seen... I'd never buy Sithl these days, though 15 years ago, It would have been my first choice) So, I agree with Leroy - before I commit to buying a new lathe, when the time comes, I am going to want to see more recent "unboxing a new Brand X" reviews, not just commentary from folks who swear their 10-20 year old lathe is the best in the market...

I would think that the biggest question for buying a lathe now days is sliding/pivoting headstock vs fixed headstock. Grizzly lathes used to be about as good as the Harbor Freight lathes. All have upgraded their quality control. There is a lot of competition out there. If I was a lot younger, knowing what I know now, I would design my own lathe.

One advantage, to me, with both Oneway and Vicmark are that they have 3 speed ranges, and have minimum speed of about 5 to 10 rpm. As a bowl turner, the mid range speed is preferred for bowl turning. On 2 speed lathes, the low speed is a bit slow for smaller bowls, but essential for coring. The high speed has the range for all bowl sizes, but they don't like coring in that range, and the lathe tends to bog down more. Mid range is just right. As for the minimum speed, I need that very slow speed for sanding my warped bowls.

robo hippy

Oneway lathes aren't really in the target range forbunboxing videos i wouldn't think. They are more focused on midrange lathe the average turner is going to buy.

Its not Jet's fault, but I had a power surge that blew out the VFD on my Jet 1642. It cost me about $900 for a new one, about 1/2 the price I paid for it. I now unplug it when not in use.
I also had a problem with the alignment of the headstock and tailstock, but a little judicious sanding took care of that.
I have the same headstock to tailstock misalignment issue on my 1642 Jet. It's a known problem with no apparent fix. I always unplug when not using - cheap insurance!

I have an old Oneway, very good no nonsense lathe. In choosing a lathe I looked for a fixed head, the reasons for this is I have seen very small amounts of dust cause vibrations that are annoying. And I do not like fidgeting around with things swapping set ups and shifting this to do that or moving and resetting that to do this. I turn outboard as much as I do inboard. I’m not moving the head around or resetting anything, I just switch to reverse on the outboard and go. I core bowls so speed and torque control are a must. In my mind Vicmarc and Oneway were my only decision. I’m not against robust, I use some of there rests but for the lathes I just don’t feel the sliding head is a dead solid “never move” kind of a thing. When I turn a bowl I start inboard to shape the outside then move it to outboard onto a chuck and hollow then back to the inboard on a vac chuck to finish the foot. That would be a pain if I where sliding the head stock back and forth. Take no offense but although robust marketing it darn good How many lathes are given away. It seams that every lathe being given away has to be paid for in the price of the ones that are not. Just my thoughts
I have a Oneway because it came up used at the right time but Both Vicmarc and Oneway are in my mind solid straight forward no nonsense lathes. Stubby’s are great too but you can’t buy a new one so they were off the list.
Mine is a 2436, If I had things my way I would own a second 2436 and a 1640. Vicmarc gets my chuck money! Robust gets rest money so I support them all.

Every discussion on 'the best lathe' seems to eventually gravitate to the fixed vs sliding headstock debate. Lately pivoting heads have entered the discussion. A while back the differences between cast iron and steel weldments got a lot of time on the forums. It becomes a 'horses for courses' decision. With nearly a decade on a Robust AB, the headstock, clamped with a plate nearly as long as the headstock itself has never budged no matter how unbalanced or large the blank, roughing or coring.

A good share of why the price is different has to do with engineering and materials. Buy what solves your problems - working methods, ergonomics and finances. I feel more comfortable and safer turning off the end...and don't mind sliding my headstock around even though that 3hp Leeson monster weighs a ton.

I am pleased with the Laguna 18/36 220V that I purchased just over a year ago. I have not had any reason to contact Laguna customer service nor have I had any issues. My banjo slides easily and all of the controls and locking mechanisms work fine. I did turn an extension handle to provide additional leverage to tighten the tool rest as it is more comfortable for me to slip an extension over the lever. I spend approximately 12 to 15 hours each week turning and have turned mostly green wood... American Holly, Live Oak, Black Cherry, Bradford Pear and Magnolia. I have not turned outboard and my largest bowls have been 13 inches. I know there are better lathes to be had but what I can say is that I have been well satisfied with mine.

I own a Revo 1216 and just got it fixed. it would slow down in the middle of a cut, start running in reverse while running in forward. Laguna recently sent me parts to fix it after I responded to an advertisement that they had sent me. I sent them a reply to the advertisement telling me that their quality was not that good and when I did upgrade I would not be buying a Laguna.
They asked me if I was having problems with the lathe I explained the situation they promptly sent me a new digital readout and a forward and reverse switch. So far the problem is fixed. My question is why do we have to purchase equipment pay good money for it and k n o w we're going to have to fix it.
Laguna has electrical problems which they're well aware of but they do nothing but send out spare parts if you ask for them. Powermatic has been known for having problems with the vfd and charge you $600 for a new one if you need it. As far as I can see we only have one option and that's to buy a ROBUST wood lathe that I feel is way Out Of Reach of the average woodturner. I understand the quality cost money but in the $3,500 to to $5,000 range some company should be able to make a dependable wood lathe.
Powermatic and Laguna could both have sold me a lathe if I would not have the Gnawlng feeling I would be stuck fixing it.
I know that the Laguna 12/16's are marketed as an entry-level midi lathe in the $799 range. I got mine at my local Woodcraft after going into the store last summer thinking that I was going to buy the Jet that was on sale, but was talked into the Laguna because of the more accurate speed control. I have been pretty pleased with mine and have turned many projects on it, though that 1hp motor can be bogged down pretty easily.

That said, yeah, they cheaped out on the electronics. I just had to get them to send me the 2nd replacement forward-reverse switch for the same reason as you. Weird thing is, they gave me a few days of annoying runaround over it, told me that I hadn't registered for the warranty despite my still having the dated, e-mail acknowledgement that I had-that sort of thing. My banjo moves fine if I keep everything clean, scrubbed and waxed.

Part of me is considering getting that extension for bigger bowls. On the other hand, if I get as deep into turning as I think I might when I retire in several years, I may upgrade. We'll see how well my 401k's are doing at that point, lol!

While researching a recent stuck-in-reverse problem with my 2 month old Revo 1216 I saw this thread mentioned in my 'net search. Shoulda' knowed I'd find something here.

Put'r in reverse to remove the faceplate, then hit forward to put on the chuck, and she kept goin' in reverse. Now, 20+ years as a shipboard electrician and another 25 as an electrician in a steel mill had me convinced I could fix it. Or at least identify the bad component and get a new one from Laguna.

Well, to make a long agonizing story short, I got it changing directions, but did not ID the bad part or fix it. Having faced these phantom breakdowns on too many pieces of equipment for 45+ years, I know it will be back. Even if I ever ID the bad piece and replace it, it will come back again and again. I hate when that happens.

Just adding my .25 cents (hey, I'm retired and on a fixed income - I can't afford to toss $ 0.02 in every pot I see :p ) to the mix. Just my opinion, but with several mechanical problems and now this electronic one, this brand/model is not a pleasant machine.

I know that the Laguna 12/16's are marketed as an entry-level midi lathe in the $799 range. I got mine at my local Woodcraft after going into the store last summer thinking that I was going to buy the Jet that was on sale, but was talked into the Laguna because of the more accurate speed control. I have been pretty pleased with mine and have turned many projects on it, though that 1hp motor can be bogged down pretty easily.

That said, yeah, they cheaped out on the electronics. I just had to get them to send me the 2nd replacement forward-reverse switch for the same reason as you. Weird thing is, they gave me a few days of annoying runaround over it, told me that I hadn't registered for the warranty despite my still having the dated, e-mail acknowledgement that I had-that sort of thing. My banjo moves fine if I keep everything clean, scrubbed and waxed.

Part of me is considering getting that extension for bigger bowls. On the other hand, if I get as deep into turning as I think I might when I retire in several years, I may upgrade. We'll see how well my 401k's are doing at that point, lol!
iv been looking at the laguna lathes, the revo 152,, has what I am looking for but now I am not so sure, what do you think about the nova lathes ,any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Take a look at Record Power. It is a little shorter than the others. I bought their 16/24 for $2000 and they also make an 18/24 for around $2,500. I am very happy with mine. They also have a pivoting headstock so you can turn 39” outboard. Another great feature is a pendant you can move with you that has on, off, forward, reverse and speed control.
10C41A4E-10AC-4396-A2D5-F3DDE22F173E.jpeg4B895474-3CA7-4EBB-AE40-05F0DE05E333.jpeg

iv been looking at the laguna lathes, the revo 152,, has what I am looking for but now I am not so sure, what do you think about the nova lathes ,any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
I have been reading about a lot of static electric problems blowing boards. Also a lot of complaints about their customer service.

Back