• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need formula

Website
mysticwoodscreations.com
I am looking for the formula for open segment woodturning. I know the formula for stamdard segment but there is no accounted gap included. I need the formula so I can make an excel spreadsheet for 2 degree gap and a 4 degree gap.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Website
mysticwoodscreations.com
Steve, I appreciate the assistance. I was followinga plan that didn't quite look right. I was looking all over the place for the formula or some way of making sense of the gap, etc. Now I have something I can work with.
Thank you very much.

Website
www.stevebonny.com
Steve, I appreciate the assistance. I was followinga plan that didn't quite look right. I was looking all over the place for the formula or some way of making sense of the gap, etc. Now I have something I can work with.
Thank you very much.
You are welcome. Note that with open segmented work, there is a gap - so the exact angle and Segment edge length are less critical depending on your assembly method. You will also see designs that use different values for the gap. Whether you use 2 degrees or 2.5 degrees for the gap is up to you.

I think the only place these may be more critical is if you are using a segment stomper or segeasy plate for assembly that have a specific angle.

Back