• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need help locating articles on historic trees turned into turned work by clubs

I guess I'm not adept at locating info. I know I've read numerous AW articles about famous trees from Universities and historic sites needing to be brought down and local clubs harvesting and turning the wood for charity or donation but I can't seem to find any with my limited internet search skills. Any help would be appreciated.

Just reread your original post and I am not sure who did the turning of the mallets. I apologize if this is less than helpful, but perhaps it won’t be too difficult for you to find out if a local club was involved.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Here’s an article about the Wye Oak on Maryland’s eastern shore and what the wood was used for, including mallets for judges around the state, and a desk for the governor.
Wye Oak - Quite a few of the Chesapeake Woodturners got pieces. Unfortunately the state needed 18 months to figure out a legal way to give away state property. During that time limb sections and log sections were left in a field. The sap wood was largely gone.

Liberty Tree - ancient Tulip poplar on St John’s campus - legend has it that under its shade plans for the revolution were made. St. John’s answered my request that the Chesapeake be given some of the wood with - no- all the wood was already taken. When the tree was taken down one of our club members was there. Asked where the wood was going - the dump- the Workmen let him take as much as he wanted he got a trunk full.

George Washington Ash- huge limb came off in a storm. Docents at Mount Vernon documented that Washington had in fact planted it. The Capitol area Wood turners all got 2 blank size log sections With lots of restrictions. Make one piece to donate to Mount Vernon. the other piece could not be attributed to Washington or Mount Vernon if sold.
Mount Vernon made a nice book of all the donated pieces and the gave the pieces to their big supporters.
these are the ones Sherry and I made43CEDFF0-C7D5-4783-8DA9-009C48317AEA.jpeg

The Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree was number 36 on the U.S Forestry register of Historic Trees in the United States. It came down due to a storm in May of 2011. I originated the project with 2 clubs...the Woodturners of the Virginia's, and the Central Virginia Woodturners. It was a 365 year old White Oak that General Jackson and his troops held services and prayers in their 1862 Campaign thru the Shenandoah Valley, where he won 5 battles against union troops. The tree has been processed mainly, and there are only a very few pieces left that are suited for any turning, which many are now pen blanks from cut offs of larger pieces.

Also, our local newspaper [The Daily News Record] ran articles about our efforts, and we made donations to Battlefield preservation organizations, and the Wounded Warrior Project.

This might be of interest...
I turned a vessel from this wood in 2011, "Ad Astra." The late Bill Jewell of Historical Woods of America brought a pick up load of it to an AAW symposium (Hartford, I think), and asked, if we took some to create something that reflected its heritage. The vessel is pierced around the stars. The design of the piece is a metaphor for both Jefferson's contribution to the new republic and his scientific interests, which included astronomy.

Attachments

• Fennell_AdAstra.jpg
    Fennell_AdAstra.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Back