• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need Instructions

My name is Ben
Hammock and i am a member of the South plains Woodturners in Lubbock. I have an old friend who lives in Granbury and he would like to learn about woodturning.He is to far away for me to instruct. I am hoping to find a local turner in Granbury who would be interested in helping him get started.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
With luck you might get a reply here.
Percentage wise very few AAW members visit the forum often.

I suggest you contact a local AAW chapter near your friend.

I agree with you that getting started with a mentor or class is invaluable on many levels.
Basic safety and learning to turn without catches.

It looks like the Woodturners of North Texas in Ft. Worth would be the closest chapter for your friend.

This type of question is exactly why the AAW should once again have a map for finding chapters, or maybe a "find a chapter within 100 miles of ZZZZZ zipcode" function. The current search only allows you to drill down to the state. 22 chapters in Texas are spread around pretty widely, and it's not too hard to sort out which one is closest in this case. But what about Pennsylvania, where the 14 chapters are mostly in towns nobody's heard of and there isn't an interstate connecting all of them? (apologies to Brian Gustin who caused me to do a similar search in William Penn's backyard)

Most clubs have a roster, and chances are that there is some one in a club near your friend.

robo hippy

Al, you raise a point I’ve wondered about. Does AAW know how many members log into the forum, whether or not they post anything? Just curious…what % of membership?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al, you raise a point I’ve wondered about. Does AAW know how many members log into the forum, whether or not they post anything? Just curious…what % of membership?
I haven’t seen recent numbers. @Bill Boehme or @Emiliano Achaval may have some number on registered and recently active.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
It looks like the Woodturners of North Texas in Ft. Worth would be the closest chapter for your friend.

This type of question is exactly why the AAW should once again have a map for finding chapters, or maybe a "find a chapter within 100 miles of ZZZZZ zipcode" function. The current search only allows you to drill down to the state. 22 chapters in Texas are spread around pretty widely, and it's not too hard to sort out which one is closest in this case. But what about Pennsylvania, where the 14 chapters are mostly in towns nobody's heard of and there isn't an interstate connecting all of them? (apologies to Brian Gustin who caused me to do a similar search in William Penn's backyard)
I spoke to the AAW folks about this maybe 6 months ago after a particularly frustrating exercise in looking up where a bunch of small towns in some state were while trying to help someone find a chapter and was told it was something they were working on. Given that there's a Google Maps app/widget embedded in about a quarter of all web sites that does exactly this mapping function using pre-canned code I can't imagine what the issue is. I even put one in my sister's business web site many moons ago, though I can't remember exactly how I did it now. As I recall the exercise was basically trivial (it would have to be for me to have done it!)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My name is Ben
Hammock and i am a member of the South plains Woodturners in Lubbock. I have an old friend who lives in Granbury and he would like to learn about woodturning.He is to far away for me to instruct. I am hoping to find a local turner in Granbury who would be interested in helping him get started.

@Ben Hammock, I am a member of the Woodturners of North Texas and we have several members who live in Granbury. Our club meets at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club (6013 Craig Street, Forth Worth) which is about 45 - 50 miles from Granbury. We usually meet on the last Thursday of the month at 6:30 PM. We don't have a regular meeting with a turning demonstration in December. Instead, our December meeting is a social event with a banquet, door prizes, and an auction. We also have open-shop meetings several times each year which has been a popular way for beginners to get one-on-one mentoring.

This type of question is exactly why the AAW should once again have a map for finding chapters, or maybe a "find a chapter within 100 miles of ZZZZZ zipcode" function. The current search only allows you to drill down to the state.......
I spoke to the AAW folks about this maybe 6 months ago after a particularly frustrating exercise in looking up where a bunch of small towns in some state were while trying to help someone find a chapter and was told it was something they were working on......

Dean and Roger, I share your pain. I was very disappointed that I wasn't able to convey to the AAW staff the importance of being able to do area searches. The previous AAW website was an excellent resource that I typically used several times each day. One of the most useful features was finding AAW members (or chapters) within a Zipcode or an expanded area by using a partial Zip code.

Back