• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need part for new Segment Gluing Jig

Several years ago I built a gluing jig according to a plan from Jim Driskell. I ordered the special spindle part from him, but that website is no longer in existence. I bought a new lathe and it has a 1-1/4" spindle, where my old, smaller lathe was 1". So, I can adapt the plan and get new plates, but I need that spindle part (photo below). Anyone know of a way to contact Jim Driskell, or another source for this part?

IMG_0900.JPEG

Update - upon more research I discovered that Mr. Driskell passed away in 2018. Sorry to hear that, since he was apparently quite a contributor to the woodturning world.

Still in search of the part, if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks for responding. Three points are significant:

1. An adapter would have to be female 1" to male 1-1/4", not the other way around
2. Just like a regular lathe spindle, there needs to be a ridge that measures 1-1/4" for the index plate to correctly align. See this close-up photo of the current part.
3. The current part is long enough for a nut to hold the index plate in place and still screw the faceplate on the remaining threads.

Spindle.jpg

Here's what the current jig looks like:

IMG_0901.JPEG

Faceplate, with bowl base attached, screws onto this spindle.

Last edited:
I guess a lot of people glue the segments with the base/bowl on the lathe. I considered that option, but the thing I like about this jig is that gravity works FOR you instead of AGAINST you. Glue a segment, press it down, spin the jig and glue the next. And they rarely move after they've been glued.

Last edited:
If you can't find what your looking for contact Best Wood Tools and I'm sure Victor can make you one easily.

Seems to me, the adapter that Chris linked to would become the nut. As in, looking at your post #5, unscrew the nut and screw on the adapter leaving index plate and washer where they are.
That is an interesting idea. I will explore that. Another benefit would be that I could use my existing index wheels. Thanks!

I guess a lot of people glue the segments with the base/bowl on the lathe. I considered that option, but the thing I like about this jig is that gravity works FOR you instead of AGAINST you. Glue a segment, press it down, spin the jig and glue the next. And they rarely move after they've been glued.
I'm one of those folks that glues open segment pieces on the lathe ... I use a jig patterned after one designed by Earl Rasmussen. I use Titebond Thick & Quick to speed up the gluing process.

Attachments

• SegJig.jpg
    SegJig.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 39
I'm one of those folks that glues open segment pieces on the lathe ... I use a jig patterned after one designed by Earl Rasmussen. I use Titebond Thick & Quick to speed up the gluing process.

I think there are advantages to both methods. There are some things about the lathe method that are appealing ... maybe I'll try it someday.

Seems to me, the adapter that Chris linked to would become the nut. As in, looking at your post #5, unscrew the nut and screw on the adapter leaving index plate and washer where they are.
This is a workable solution. I ordered the adapter and it seems to be OK. I will be able to test when the 1-1/4 Faceplate that I ordered arrives. Thanks to you, Chris and others who sent me down this path.

Spindle with Adapter.jpeg

I am still exploring an option to get a one-piece spindle the correct size, in the event that other users would like to build a jig like this. I think I'm close to solution.

If you can't find what your looking for contact Best Wood Tools and I'm sure Victor can make you one easily.
So I did contact Victor and he was able to make exactly what I needed. Here's a photo of the part (and jam nut), and the updated jig with the index wheel.

IMG_0951.JPEG

IMG_0952.JPEG

Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else needs a part like this, I assume he could make one using the plan he did for me.

Website
www.lakeeriewoodturner.com
So I did contact Victor and he was able to make exactly what I needed. Here's a photo of the part (and jam nut), and the updated jig with the index wheel.

View attachment 42510

View attachment 42511

Thanks for the suggestion. If anyone else needs a part like this, I assume he could make one using the plan he did for me.
David.
As a new wannabe open segmented turner I purchased the index wheel and tailstock jig from chefware as per Earl Rasmussen. I would like to take the glueing jig off the lathe and glue off the lathe as you have.
My question is what is the purpose of the jam nut as in your photo? I have a MT2 spindle adapter for 1 1/4 x 8. I could just turn the MT2 to about 1/2" thick and put that as the nut thru the index wheel the the chuck or faceplate would act as a jam nut. In my feeble non-engineering mind that would work. No?
I have made a couple open segment bowls and just want to get everything from tying up the lathe for so long. Sometimes (OK all the time) I just want to chuck a piece of wood and make shavings fly!
Hopefully I can get some feedback and pictures from your experience since this thread is over a year old.

Thanks
Jim

FWIW, we will be having a member, or possibly two, start a follow along project on building an independent gluing jig over on the Segmented Woodturning site…..timing is everything!!

If you are looking for something “turnkey”, no one makes a finer jig than Tom Lohman! His jig was used to make the piece in my Avatar.

David.
As a new wannabe open segmented turner I purchased the index wheel and tailstock jig from chefware as per Earl Rasmussen. I would like to take the glueing jig off the lathe and glue off the lathe as you have.
My question is what is the purpose of the jam nut as in your photo? I have a MT2 spindle adapter for 1 1/4 x 8. I could just turn the MT2 to about 1/2" thick and put that as the nut thru the index wheel the the chuck or faceplate would act as a jam nut. In my feeble non-engineering mind that would work. No?
I have made a couple open segment bowls and just want to get everything from tying up the lathe for so long. Sometimes (OK all the time) I just want to chuck a piece of wood and make shavings fly!
Hopefully I can get some feedback and pictures from your experience since this thread is over a year old.

Thanks
Jim
The purpose of the jam nut is to hold the index wheel securely so it doesn't turn on the spindle adapter. Any movement would disturb the alignment. I always sand the bowl on the lathe between rows, so I remove the faceplate and bowl from the jig, mount it on the lathe and use a large sanding disk mounted on a piece of plywood to make sure the ring is completely flat and smooth. Then I place it back on the jig to assemble the next ring. If you look closely at the picture of my jig you will see my 'fine-tuning' adjustment for the receiver hole. I use that to make sure each row is precisely aligned with the previous rows. Hope that helps.

FWIW, we will be having a member, or possibly two, start a follow along project on building an independent gluing jig over on the Segmented Woodturning site…..timing is everything!!

If you are looking for something “turnkey”, no one makes a finer jig than Tom Lohman! His jig was used to make the piece in my Avatar.
Russ is correct. Check with Tom to get his latest and finest products.

Great idea to share more information on segmenting jigs! Lot's of good practices out there and it would be really helpful to get them well organized and easily 'found'.

Website
www.lakeeriewoodturner.com
The purpose of the jam nut is to hold the index wheel securely so it doesn't turn on the spindle adapter. Any movement would disturb the alignment. I always sand the bowl on the lathe between rows, so I remove the faceplate and bowl from the jig, mount it on the lathe and use a large sanding disk mounted on a piece of plywood to make sure the ring is completely flat and smooth. Then I place it back on the jig to assemble the next ring. If you look closely at the picture of my jig you will see my 'fine-tuning' adjustment for the receiver hole. I use that to make sure each row is precisely aligned with the previous rows. Hope that helps.
Thanks for your reply David.
Won't the faceplate act as a jam nut when it is tightened down. When taken off jig to sand ring flat the index wheel should stay indexed with the pin. Or am I missing something here?
How long are your threads on the spindle adapter. On my adapter they are 1"

Thanks Again
Jim

The threaded portion is 1.75" long as I planned for a washer, the jam nut and the faceplate. See attached drawing.

Here's my thinking -- even if you keep the pin in the index wheel, the spindle could turn when you remove and replace the faceplate on the spindle. Without the jam nut there's nothing to prevent this. And if it spindle turns any, your alignment is changed.

Attachments

• Jam Nut 1_25x8 High Accuracy.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Special 1-1_25 x 8 Spindle.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 19
Back