• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New family member

You will probably almost never use Mr. Smith again. Haven't turned on one of those yet. PM is generally a step or three above most of what is on the market...

robo hippy

You will probably almost never use Mr. Smith again. Haven't turned on one of those yet. PM is generally a step or three above most of what is on the market...

robo hippy
Thanks, robo, the ‘smith isn’t going anywhere, the bandsaw is always mounted, and I can setup it up for horizontal boring for making accurate pilot holes, the speed reducer makes it good for driving big forstner bits, and then all of the other things that it can help me with without eating up too much space.
I am really pleased about all of the cast iron in this, and the stand weighs a ton and is very ridged.
and boy howdy is it ever quiet compared to mister smith!

Good choice! I have had mine for over a year now, and really have come to like it. It is a perfect companion to my PM3520C.

So far I am loving this machine! I have a project in mind and am practicing cuts on a piece of fir limb, which is quite challenging to get clean cuts on, and being able to just slide the tail off is making this so much easier!

Spike,
If you get into doing segmented turnings, Mr Smith makes a great disk sander to flatten one side before glue up. I have made a larger disk and use the face plate to mount the disk.

Spike,
If you get into doing segmented turnings, Mr Smith makes a great disk sander to flatten one side before glue up. I have made a larger disk and use the face plate to mount the disk.
Thanks Bob, as a matter of fact I have 3 discs for mr smith! And a 6” belt sander, so I can sand up a storm! (So to speak)
best, Spike

Back