• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

new Tormeck gauge

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
Anyone here on this forum purchased the new gauge Tormeck has come out with? Does it have instructions on the protrusion past the holding device? They claim it will allow you to sharpen the Ellsworth grind in about a minute. I have the machine and would buy the gauge if it really works. Any input is appreciated. Max

Got One and I like it.

I got one just after seeing it in Louisville this summer. I love it for checking my set-up and setting the honing wheel for that "ultimate edge". It has a few step guages for setting the tool at the right depth of the jig, but you can do that with a block of wood. The beauty is that it checks your set-up by checking the setting of the bar to the wheel. If this is off, you cut will be off. I have at least 6 ways to put an edge on an Ellsworth tool. This one I can use just as fast, remove less steel and get the best edge. Was it worth it? YES!

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
Tormek gague

Thanks, Cap, will call WC and Rockler and see if they have one. Been to your fair city in better times. Love the atmosphere, people and climate. Ate my fill of crabs. Max

Tormek Gauge

I purchased one last month at the Baltimore woodworking show. What I like is that it keeps the exact same set up regardless of wheel size so every cut is the same. Simple and easy. Thats what i like.

Tony

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Dustpan said:
Thanks, Cap, will call WC and Rockler and see if they have one. Been to your fair city in better times. Love the atmosphere, people and climate. Ate my fill of crabs. Max
I'll back up your story, Max, and will also tell the Mrs. that you really need it and that you will be able to triple your output of bowls if you get it. In return, I only ask to borrow it on occasion. I saw them at Rockler's the last time that I was there.

Bill

Back