• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New turning light

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
This may not be new to you but is to me so I though I would share. It is an LED light that has magnets on the bottom and a C clamp. It's pretty bright. Probably not as bright as my Moffet lamps with 100 watt bulbs but it's so easily adjustable and moveable and so small I think it will be very useful.
It was on sale at TRactor Supply for $17.95. I think they are also sold in some box stores with the Gas grill supplies.

Attachments

• LED-light.jpg
    LED-light.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 473
I didn't buy it but I picked one up at lunch today thinking about the same thing. I'm still trying to make sandblasting work so TS is my source for oxide. If it works o.k. I may have to go back. I was wondering if the 72 hour battery life was for real. Keep us posted.

How long is it? i have a short 6 in one i use for HF work that is LED and I tape it to the tr, works pretty cool on bat and has push and hold ruby laser also for 4.95 came with extra bats.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
This one has 9 LED's and uses 3 AA's. The neck is 23" long. I haven't actually done a check on LED and battery life but it's way over normal flashlights. I'm slowly changing all my flashlights to LED. Their brighter, use smaller batteries and the battery life is better. I'm also told the bulb won't burn out. I'll believe that when I see it. I suspect the electronics that power the LED will go first.

Can't read what it says on the side of the light. "TACT???"
Can't find it on Tractor Supply web site...
Any help?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
John,
It looks like a great light to carry in my demo box. Often the lighting is iffy in many demo situations.

The led won't make heat. should be nice for thin turning using a light it won't heat up the wood.

thanks,
-Al

Found this Road Pro at Global Trucker for 26.99$.They list a lot of flex LED's on their site, picture is the same as the one John posted.

http://www.globaltrucker.com/produc...Light_with_Clamp_and_Flexible_Arm-7156-1.html

9 High Intensity LED Bulbs
22" Flexible Arm
On/Off Switch
3 "AA" Alkaline Batteries Included
Stong Magnetic Base
Adjustable Clamp

found several goose neck LEDs ( 20 bulb) for 80 to 100 $ , one with a 33 in reach. I googled flexable LED and came up with tons of em. 110 v

Last edited:
I got a similar one from Lowes in the Bar-B-Que section for lighting my pit. Also found it at Wal-Mart. But, sadly, not at the woodturners best outlet, Harbor Freight.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think I did see the light at Indyfest. I couldn't remember where. I used it tonight. It's not as good as the Moffets but is pretty decent. I also used it on the bandsaw and next to my metal vise when working there. It's a very versitile light.
I agree it would be great to take along on Demo's Often the lighting isn't good enough for the video cameras or there are dark shadows this might help illuminate those areas although the color is very blue.

Inasmuch as I'm no great fan of battery powered lighting systems for my lathe and I try to avoid anything as hot as a 100 watt incandescent lamp, (Moffatts) I'm working on a plan to marry this nice little LED lamp with a low voltage power supply
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT88394/it.A/id.540/.f

Back