• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Newbie Forum

From the responses we gathered earlier, it appeared that a Newbie Forum would be of interest. This is the place to ask the questions that you might not feel comfortable asking in the Main Forum. Also, questions about How To, for instance, would be good here; if they generate enough interest, they might be moved to the How To's, Tips, etc. Experienced turners are encouraged to provide any info and constructive help as needed. Let's make this a really good place for someone new to turning!

Adding an Avatar

Jeremy,
I reinstated your post because there might be others that would like to add an Avatar to their signature.

Just click on My Settings on the bar above, and click on Edit Avatar. You will then have a choice of using one of the predefined ones, or uploading a custom Avatar of your choice.

Hope this helps!

Barbara,
You should be able to go into your profile and change your name.

If I remember correctly, if you change your online name in any way, you lose your photo gallery (because it is associated with your name, and can't be under two names at the same time). However, you can repost the individual photos under the new name once it's changed. If this is a problem, contact John Van Domelen by private message to learn more.

C

Chad Kevin

Hello

Hi all , this is Kevin and i am new here on this forum.Being a member of this forum is really wonderful.Thanks

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well I guess that makes me second at welcoming you. Feel free to ask whatever questions you like. there are an awful lot of knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to help.

Welcome to the Forums. Please take a look around and read the Help, Rules & FAQ to familiarize yourself with these Forums. Above all, don't be hesitant to ask questions. We have an amazing amount of expertise here at all times!:)

Howdy!
Not so new to turning, but new to this forum- so I'm learning the layout and reading posts.
I'm in south central Texas--Cuero, and really like turning--especially mesquite. But when given the opportunity do work with all the other native species here.

Newbie to AAW

Hello all, I am new to AAW and always looking for new tricks of the trade. I am pretty active on other forums and my standard username is BangleGuy. I hope to see you all around the forum.

Cheers,

Eric

Large bowl

Hi,
Thank you for allowing me to participate in your forum!
I posted information about this bowl on another excellent forum and got much helpful information.
I then ran across your site and thought well there must be many experts here in addition to the ones who have already helped me tremendously. I would love to find out everything I can about the bowl, especially what kind of wood it is and exactly how to care for it so it won't dry out and crack. I would also love to know if there are others out there of similar size and shape. Finally, I would like to place a value on the piece so that I can insure it.
Thanks so much!

Burl bowl--36" in diameter
8-10" deep
3.5-4" thick

A 12 ounce soda can is shown for reference.

Attachments

• Salad Bowl.JPG
    Salad Bowl.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Salad Bowl 2.JPG
    Salad Bowl 2.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Salad Bowl 3.JPG
    Salad Bowl 3.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Salad Bowl 4.JPG
    Salad Bowl 4.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Spindle turning measurement

Hello everyone
I am looking for some advice on what to safely use for measuring spindle diameters while the lathe is spinning. I envision something that I can preset to a diameter and that would be a go-no go type of measurement.
If there is something commercially available and commonly used I would appreciate hearing about it
Thanks
Vince

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There is something commercially available. http://www.petergalbertchairmaker.com/galbertcaliper.html It isn't cheap. I use 3 methods. I have outside calipers that I bought from Grizzly. Round over the inside edges so they aren't sharp and then you set them to the diameter you want and use a parting tool to cut until the calipers drop over. Typically parting tools don't leave a very clean cut so I always leave the dimension just a little thick so I can make one more pass with a good cutting tool. For smaller diameters I use my dial calipers. I set the dimension and then use the same technique with the outside calipers. With practice you can get very accurate dimensions. The final method requires finding a wrench that is the size you want but thin enough so you can fit it into the parting tool kerf. I use a 3/8" one for my mirror handle tenons. I just cut with the parting tool until the wrench drops over and it's the right size. Some people have recommended sharpening one jaw of the wrench and using that as your parting tool as well as a sizing tool. I tried it and it works but if your not really careful you can easily go under size.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I use the simple outside calipers for most of my sizing. ( for Christmas ornament finials I do use the wrenches) Groz from woodcraft are good But even really cheap ones from HF will work well Just don't push hard enough for them to spring open as this will give you a slightly larger measure ( usually not a problem unless it is for fitting a tenon.
The corners on all calipers need to be rounded over. I just roll them lightly on a grinding wheel. If I can ever feel a point on my finger I remove it.
A point will catch in the wood and will throw the calipers at you.

In most spindles like table legs or ballastrads the vertical elements need to match with a 1/32 or so. The diameter measures can be off a lot sometimes 3/16 and not be noticeable.

This is a short video clip from a long demo that shows turning a spindle.
I use calipers to make several diameter makes then connect them to make a cylinder. It shows using th calipers and a one handed use of the parting tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05IYkb06Jc

Notice that I hold the calipers so that they can be pulled from my hand without breaking a finger. This never happens to me but if you aren't paying attention you can bind the calipers in a deep parting by not keeping them vertical. I use a bowl gouge for this because i use it later in the demo.

Al

Last edited:
Back