• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Newbie, With Questions

I've been bouncing around this forum for @ 6 months and confess to information overload inasmuch as I've been turning bowls for only @ 1 year. So much to learn, and so little time! And so much great information on this forum!

But, I've recently registered for a woodturning class which will cover not only bowl turning but spindle and end grain turning a well. I have turning tools which will, I think, serve me well for the bowl turning segement of the class. However, the only tools I have which can be used for the other segments of the class are a 1 1/2" spindle gouge a 3/8" spindle gouge (looks small to me) and a diamond parting tool.

Finally, the questions: What do forum members suggest I purchase as a "starter set" for end grain and between centers turning? What tools and what sizes do you consider essential? What tools should I consider adding to this "starter set" down the road?

Thank you for your help.

May we know what kind of class it is. Is that a whole week long class? It sounds it has a lot of subjects to cover in the class. Your best bet is find out from your instructor, what kind of tools you will need for the class.

Since you already have bowl gouges, spindle gouges and parting tool, I won't recommend you get another tool set. You may want to add a spindle roughing gouge and skew for spindle turning. What kind of budget do you have? We would love to help in spending others money.

Gordon

Natty Boh,
It sounds like you have the needed tools. Contact the instructor and see what they say. If you need help spending money, I'm an expert at it. :D :D :D

GA Darling

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
I think I'd add a detail gouge to what you have, with a shallow flute and long, almost pointy bevel. If on a limited budget, a skewchigouge can be a good stand-in for the detail gouge--I use it all the time for spindle turning.

You may want some type of hollowing tool, to try your hand at open vessels. There are so many kinds on the market and a few of them are easy to fabricate yourself, like the Ellsworth tools with small HSS toolbits glued into a mild steel shaft which is set in a handle.

If you want to start hollow vessels, some type of captured rest system could be a good investment. The Jamieson system was one of the originals, and many other designs have sprung from inventive minds. These put much less strain on the body compared to freehand hollowing tools like the Ellsworth tools.

------------------------
[size=-1]Ken Grunke,
AAW Forums Co-Moderator
member & webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners
My Home Page

[/size]

Last edited:
Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Natty Boh,

Check with the instructor and see what they have on hand for you to play with. This might be a great opportunity to play with a number of tools and decide what you like before you buy. You don't get that chance very often.

Hope the classes are terrific!!!

Dave

David hit it. Don't buy it if you can try it for free. The corollary is don't change the grind after you buy because you're not getting the results you want until you're sure it's the grind and not inexperience. Lots of metal and dust below a bunch of 8" variable speed fully jigged and rigged grinders went for naught because the new kid didn't experiment enough to find the sweet spot in the pattern at hand. Or get a hand finding it.

Thanks for the replies, fellows. Some additional information.

The class will meet for 16 sessions--one session per week. The classes will be evenly divided between bowl work, spindle work, endgrain work, and something else--I've forgotten--with different instructors teaching each segment. We are expected to work on projects in and outside of class and we are expected to have our own tools.

I do have a Woodcraft store nearby and probably can buy the tools I need at the last minute. Service from Packard has always been very, very good as well. And, it's good thinking, as pointed out above, to take the advice of my instructors. But, I think I can also get valuable input from this forum.

I'm not sure what a "captured rest system" is. I'll do some research.

Money is no problem. I have Christmas gift cards, a birthday coming up, and a rich uncle in Washington, D.C. who sends me money every month-- whether I need it or not! :)

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Natty Boh,

Since you have a woodcraft nearby check with the owner or manager. He may have tools he can rent you or loan you for your classes. Most Woodcrafts have their own classes and a decent stock of tools for them. Worth a shot! Have a great time!

Dave

Back