• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Newbie's first attempts

This is my first attempt at turning a bowl using a freshly cut White Oak tree. I left it thicker than what the finish bowl will be based on guidance from this forum and coated it with a liquid wax sealer. Now, I gotta wait a few months before finishing it. Hopefully, I'll have a lot more lined up to finish by then!

Looking at the turnings by AAW members is inspiring and is motivating me to learn as much as I can.

photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

I'm a newbie, myself, but it looks like a good start to me.

You'll want to check on that knot fairly frequently to check for cracks. If a crack starts, fill it immediately with CA glue (my preference is 'thin' for cracks) and you may be able to save the piece.

Check with the more experienced turners, but I'm not sure you need to coat the WHOLE bowl with sealer - if it really seals it'll prevent the bowl from drying at all. I'm definately not the voice of experience, though.

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I'm sure I'll probably have more wood for the burn pile as opposed to finishing the piece. I've found this forum to be extremely helpful and I'm sure (eventually) that I'll get to a point where I sort of know what I'm doing :cool2:

Back