• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nino G. Cocchiarella

Me? I'm good. I am in love. Don't tell my wife—I love her too, but... I'm in love with wood. It's as simple as that. After over thirty years as a young, and then not so young, urban professional in the visual arts/communications arena, I made a move to the Hoosier National Forest to "homestead." Working from the woods became my way of life until I eventually retired from that world.

I always enjoyed nature and advocated for the natural world in word and deed. However, nothing prepared me for living deep in it. From growing a significant portion of my food in the way it should be grown to learning the ways of the land and its inhabitants, I was overwhelmed—in a good way. Highly recommended.

We heat our small home with wood. There's nothing like the radiant warmth of a real fire. Collecting down and standing dead trees for firewood made me truly see wood. I fell in love with the grain patterns, the way the stress of a branch or bifurcation would change the normally symmetrical patterns into something much more fractal. This, I believe, started my love affair with wood.

Over the last 17 years living in the forest, I built sheds for firewood, tractor & tools, chicken coops, and a new well house. I even constructed a large, steep-slope, south-facing shed for our solar panels. During these years, I acquired a small sawmill to produce lumber from the fallen trees, aiding in these endeavors.

At this point, I was hooked. Wood, and what can be done with it, became a driving force in my life. Furniture came next, starting simply and rapidly growing into a passion for traditional techniques and materials, of which I had an abundance.

Many masters of woodworking on YouTube became my first teachers. Later, an old friend took me under his wing. While I learned a whole lot from him, he discouraged anything to do with bowl turning—which, like any good student, I obeyed. Until I didn't.

Now, with only a year into bowl turning, I am deeper down the rabbit hole than ever. I'm on my third lathe and can't seem to stop. Well, the spring will bring gardening, so there will be a slowing. There is also a long list of furniture and house-related woodworking projects too that I can't wait to get started on.
nino.jpg

Me? I'm good. I am in love. Don't tell my wife—I love her too, but... I'm in love with wood. It's as simple as that. After over thirty years as a young, and then not so young, urban professional in the visual arts/communications arena, I made a move to the Hoosier National Forest to "homestead." Working from the woods became my way of life until I eventually retired from that world.

I always enjoyed nature and advocated for the natural world in word and deed. However, nothing prepared me for living deep in it. From growing a significant portion of my food in the way it should be grown to learning the ways of the land and its inhabitants, I was overwhelmed—in a good way. Highly recommended.

We heat our small home with wood. There's nothing like the radiant warmth of a real fire. Collecting down and standing dead trees for firewood made me truly see wood. I fell in love with the grain patterns, the way the stress of a branch or bifurcation would change the normally symmetrical patterns into something much more fractal. This, I believe, started my love affair with wood.

Over the last 17 years living in the forest, I built sheds for firewood, tractor & tools, chicken coops, and a new well house. I even constructed a large, steep-slope, south-facing shed for our solar panels. During these years, I acquired a small sawmill to produce lumber from the fallen trees, aiding in these endeavors.

At this point, I was hooked. Wood, and what can be done with it, became a driving force in my life. Furniture came next, starting simply and rapidly growing into a passion for traditional techniques and materials, of which I had an abundance.

Many masters of woodworking on YouTube became my first teachers. Later, an old friend took me under his wing. While I learned a whole lot from him, he discouraged anything to do with bowl turning—which, like any good student, I obeyed. Until I didn't.

Now, with only a year into bowl turning, I am deeper down the rabbit hole than ever. I'm on my third lathe and can't seem to stop. Well, the spring will bring gardening, so there will be a slowing. There is also a long list of furniture and house-related woodworking projects too that I can't wait to get started on.
View attachment 63308
I thing you have fallen over the edge. Wood turning is so addictive and rewarding. It is amazing to take a piece of ‘trashy’ wood and make something beautiful. I can see from your turning that you have already produce a challenging and beautiful piece. The best of luck getting all the other chores done.

Back