• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

No mas - An open letter to YoYoSpin

As everyone is aware, Ed and I have been on different sides of the fence regarding the AAW trainwreck. Although we've never met in person, we've been friends for the last several years. Ed has always been ready to offer woodturning advice over the phone and answer any emails that I have sent his way. Needless to say, our friendship has been strained. We, like many others, have both made our share of inflammatory posts and, at times, have taunted each other.
Yesterday, Ed and I spoke over the telephone. It was a lengthy conversation. This afternoon, I sent the following message to Ed. I would like to share it with the forum:

Ed . . .
I really enjoyed talking with you last night. As you were talking, I was thinking to myself . . . no wonder I like this guy so much. Not only are you a highly skilled and creative woodturner . . . but, you are one damn decent human being. It also occurred to me that I had already lost two other friends over all of this mess . . . and that I don't care to lose anymore.

With that said, I am about to go to both the AAW and Woodturnersforum and announce that I am stepping aside from the fight. I am dropping my affiliation with both sites and will not allow myself to be dragged down into the mud any longer. It's just not productive nor is it good for my inner peace. I plan on remaining a member of AAW.

Best wishes,
Al

I've also reflected on the following thoughts . . . .

At this very moment, somebody's son or daughter is trying to stay alive in Afghanistan while terrorists are planting roadside bombs.

At this very moment, there's a four year old child laying in a hospital bed, fighting for his life as cancer ravages his body.

At this very moment, there's an elderly parent suffering from Alzheimer's who doesn't remember his own daughter's name.

The list could go on and on. But, the point is . . . . why am I exerting all of this negative energy arguing with my wooodturning friends.

It's time for me to get my life back and do something to try to help others.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. But, more importantly . . . when will you say "No mas?"

Parting words Al,....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I truly regret the decision you have made, but know that sometimes practical decisions are necessary to keep the keel level and pointed ahead. When a situation finally boils down to ethics and principles, much thought must be given to the perceived value to each individual of continuing the fight, measured against the value of the ultimate resolution. This AAW BOD issue will probably be resolved by attrition among the membership, with new members not even knowing the history involved. We older members will need to gradually acknowledge our gains and losses, weighed against our desires to remain involved with a scarred memory of events by past actors no longer in power. Go softly into the night Al, and I do look forward to meeting you in person someday. Peace be with you.

Well said Al. I came to that conclusion a couple of weeks after it all happened. Happened to me 10 years ago last week and life has gone on and many blessings have come my way. Everyone and every role is replaceable and the world still goes on.

Website
www.docwks.com
Yes to "No Mas"

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.
Confucius

Last edited:
Back