• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova Comet 2 lathe, Nova G3 chuck w/ multiple jaw sets, extra tool rest, and other stuff - $650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi everyone,

I'm selling my Nova Comet 2 lathe and pretty much everything that goes with it, and then some. 12" swing, 16.5" between centers, 3/4 hp, variable speed, MT2 headstock and tailstock. The very tip (less than a cm) of the tailstock locking handle broke off, and one of the chuck screws is not a Nova brand. Both of these things are easily replaceable, and do not affect the performance of the lathe/chuck.

It works perfectly well, but I no longer have a need for it. When I bought a bigger lathe several months ago, I thought I would keep it around to use as a buffing/sanding station or for small items; however, I have yet to use it. Unfortunately, my one car garage shop is not really big enough for it, so I would rather let it go to some that could actually get some use. Plus, I have my eye on some other expensive-ish lathe-related things, of course... ;)

IMG_4278.JPG

The lathe is affixed to a metal/plywood stand that is relatively ridged, and has a shelf for adding extra weight. I painted the top piece of plywood to give pretty good contrast when looking at the turning. I also drilled several holes in it to put centers, knock-out bars, etc...

IMG_4276.JPG

Along with the lathe/stand, I'm including the following (a few of the following items are normally included with a lathe, of course):
  • Nova G3 chuck with three sets of jaws: 25mm, 50mm and 100mm
  • Nova mini chisel tool set (1/8" spindle gouge, 1/4" spindle gouge, 1/8" parting tool, 1/4" round nose scraper, and 1/4" skewed scraper)
  • Nova 6" tool rest
  • Robust 9" comfort tool rest
  • 3" faceplate
  • 1" 4-prong drive center
  • Woodworm screw (not pictured)
  • Cupped live center
  • Cone live center (60 degrees)
  • Wrench, a couple of hex keys, and original rubber feet that came with the lathe
  • Knockout bar
IMG_4272.JPGIMG_4274.JPG

$650 gets you everything. I think the price is fair, so I'm pretty firm if buying outright. I'm also possibly open to trading this package for a Oneway coring system (or equivalent), Foredom micromotor (or equivalent), or something I'm not able to think of right now (it never hurts to reach out with an offer).

This is a great lathe package for someone starting out, which probably doesn't apply to many folks here. Maybe you know someone though? I've made a bunch of really cool items with this lathe, and will be somewhat sad to see it go. Unfortunately, I am not able to ship, but I may be able to drive to deliver (within reason, and I'd like some wood as a deliver fee, haha).

Michael Anderson
Chattanooga, Tennessee
615-957-4753
maa198@gmail.com

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Best of luck with the sale. Looks like a great starter set up and priced very fairly.

What is extra funny is that I picked up the same model used and cannibalized the motor and controller. Congratulations on getting a bigger lathe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back