• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova Nebula

I saw a few posts from a few weeks ago inquiring about the Nova Nebula. I thought I would follow up to see if anyone has any experience.

I've had my Nova DVR3000 for over 20 years, my Nova 14dr for over 3 years and I have coming a Nova Neptune on its way.

I see the Nebula as a 2” larger swing version of the Galaxi I have had for 5 years, with a couple of positive changes - low speed of 50 rpm for finishing and a corded remote.

Can’t think of any other similar sized lathe a would rather have than the Galaxi. Likely would have got the Nebula if it had been available, but there is one question I have not found an answer to yet - what type of outrigger setup is available for the Nebula?

A primary reason I got the Galaxi was the bolt on outrigger - I use it a lot, in addition to the pivot headstock. Without a similar outrigger I would not want the Nebula over the Galaxi.

Thanks for the quick reply. The advice is appreciated. Years ago I had a comet. I had some problems but tech support was very responsive. Is that still the case?

one question I have not found an answer to yet - what type of outrigger setup is available for the Nebula?
Going to the symposium and I plan to camp out at the Teknatools booth until I get all my questions answered.

Can’t think of any other similar sized lathe a would rather have
I gotta say the Vicmarc VL240 is very appealing, but it does cost quite a bit more than the Novas.

Going to the symposium and I plan to camp out at the Teknatools booth until I get all my questions answered.

I gotta say the Vicmarc VL240 is very appealing, but it does cost quite a bit more than the Novas.
Looking forward to what you find out about the Nebula.

The one thing the VL240 has that would benefit me is the 10 rpm slowest speed for sanding/finishing. I doubt I’ll ever convince myself that would be worth 2-3x cost difference.

The Vicmarc is indeed the other lathe I am considering. I have little doubt the Vicmarc is a great lifetime lathe but as you all point out it is ~ twice the price.

I don't know if the Nebula is on the same boat as the Neptune but the Neptune is roughly scheduled to get to Florida September 23. That means at least 10 more days to me so I'm now expecting it to get here in October:(

I ordered my Nebula in August with an expected ship date of Oct 11th. Since then the ship date keeps getting extended. The latest I heard is late December. I currently have a Nova Comet and have been turning pens on it for years. I'm sad because I have some huge cherry blanks from a neighbors tree and had planned on making large salad bowls as holiday gifts for my two kids.
Is any one else waiting for the nebulous Nebula to arrive?

I ordered my Nebula in August with an expected ship date of Oct 11th. Since then the ship date keeps getting extended. The latest I heard is late December. I currently have a Nova Comet and have been turning pens on it for years. I'm sad because I have some huge cherry blanks from a neighbors tree and had planned on making large salad bowls as holiday gifts for my two kids.
Is any one else waiting for the nebulous Nebula to arrive?
Hi Bryan,

Similar experience here, ordered in August with eta of Nov 17 and still waiting for mine.

Rich

I got sick of waiting and canceled my order. I picked up a Laguna 1836 instead. Found one in stock locally. It doesn't have the bells and whistles the Nebula does, but I've used the heck out of it. It's a big, heavy, smooth beast. I'm very pleased with it.

I got sick of waiting and canceled my order. I picked up a Laguna 1836 instead. Found one in stock locally. It doesn't have the bells and whistles the Nebula does, but I've used the heck out of it. It's a big, heavy, smooth beast. I'm very pleased with it.
I understand how you feel, but I want those bells and whistles. I own a Nova Comet II and have been very pleased with Teknatool's customer service.

My local Woodcraft has one in stock. Woodcrafters (an independent woodworking store) in Portland has one as well. Might be worth calling around if you’re waiting on an ordered one.

My local Woodcraft has one in stock. Woodcrafters (an independent woodworking store) in Portland has one as well. Might be worth calling around if you’re waiting on an ordered one.
Thanks for the suggestion. I live out in the boonies of NH, and the nearest Woodcraft store is miles away. I'm told patience is a virtue!

Thanks for the suggestion. I live out in the boonies of NH, and the nearest Woodcraft store is miles away. I'm told patience is a virtue!
I was supposed to have mine a month ago now. I've been in contact with a member of Teknatool via the FB Teknatool owner's page. Mine was unloaded from the ship this morning and is scheduled for shipment tomorrow or Wednesday. Perhaps you're in the same predicament...it's been a very long wait in between machines.

Update on the Nebula, freight company called me today to schedule delivery, should be here next week.

also, if you happened to order through Rockler, call them and ask for status. I had sent 2 emails to support with no response. When I called the rep (I think her name was Gay) was really nice and said she would have their drop ship team look into it and contact me (they never did) but the shipper did so thats all that matters in the end I suppose.

hope it works out for anyone else waiting!

cheers,

Rich

Had not really noticed anything about the Nebula as I have my lifetime Oneway 2436 (20 years old in Feb 2024) but went searching after seeing this thread. Description on Nova site mentions Striatech which I had also not really looked at before. This is the motor company spawned by the success of the Nova DVR and owned by Nova. Striatech boasts on their site of a ten year warranty on their motors yet Nova offers two years on the motor and controller on the Nebula? I remember over twenty years ago remotely looking at the early Novas but no one in eastern Canada repped them to see one and went with the company just over an hour away. Nebula looks like a decent package.

Update on the Nebula, freight company called me today to schedule delivery, should be here next week.

also, if you happened to order through Rockler, call them and ask for status. I had sent 2 emails to support with no response. When I called the rep (I think her name was Gay) was really nice and said she would have their drop ship team look into it and contact me (they never did) but the shipper did so thats all that matters in the end I suppose.

hope it works out for anyone else waiting!

cheers,

Rich
I ordered through Acme Tools. Most recent shipping update, January! Let me know what you think about your new toy when you get it set up.

I Emailed Teknatool and was told they have 27 lathes waiting to be picked up for shipping. Keeping my fingers crossed that one of them is mine! It is hard to turn while your fingers are crossed! Merry Xmas to all.

I ordered through Acme Tools. Most recent shipping update, January! Let me know what you think about your new toy when you get it set up.
Hi Bryan,

short answer is, love it! This thing is a beast, i was able to assemble all but the headstock by myself (seriously heavy and my back issues made it impossible to simply lift) I used leverage (8’ 2x4 and some ratchet straps) and a wonderful neighbor to install/position the headstock. This is such a huge upgrade from my old jet!

I’m having a great time with it!

Rich

Hi Bryan,

short answer is, love it! This thing is a beast, i was able to assemble all but the headstock by myself (seriously heavy and my back issues made it impossible to simply lift) I used leverage (8’ 2x4 and some ratchet straps) and a wonderful neighbor to install/position the headstock. This is such a huge upgrade from my old jet!

I’m having a great time with it!

Rich
Great news about the quality. Glad you are loving it. I'm still waiting for mine. Acme is now saying mid-late January. Any idea what the headstock weighs?

Back