• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova Orion

Hello All! I am a beginner/intermediate turner looking to upgrade from my Jet 1220 lathe. I am seriously considering the new Nova Orion machine. I like the rotating head (my neck issues) and the relatively small/expandable footprint for my small space. This is a new product and unfortunately I am unable to see one in person. I was wondering if anyone has this machine and can provide any insight. Any red flags? Fit and Finish? Glitches etc. It is strange making such a big investment without ever touching the product.
Thanks in advance!

I looked at the lathe on the internet and I see that the motor is DVR and is direct drive so no belts, so D = direct drive maybe, V = variable maybe and R = ???. The speed range is listed as 100 to 5000 rpm whereas 2500 RPM should fast enough for small diameter spindle turnings and the larger the diameter the slower you operate and require more torque. Note: that most lathes are equipped with 3 phase induction motors controlled by a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) that produces a relatively constant torque over the speed range and have at least 2 mechanical speed ranges where in the low range the motor runs faster than the spindle and thus multiplies the torque. I would want to know what the torque output is over the entire speed range.
The swivel head will present problems as to positioning the tool rest where as a non swivel moveable head can just be moved toward the outboard end so you can work on your big bowls without hanging over the the bed and does not require any extra accessories to position the tool rest.

One of my lathes is the DVR3000 which I have had now for almost 20 years. I was able to upgrade it to the configuration that gave it a speed knob and bumped the speed limit to 5000 RPM. The torque is at the very least constant throughout the speed range (it senses torque needed). I have been impressed enough that I purchased the Nova Viking drill press (DVR Motor) which is a dream compared to the one i had. Like the lathe the electronics can be upgraded like a computer. When the shop is not setup for hands on learning for 8 students my DVR is set up with my Baxter Threading Jig. With the now 5000 RPM I think I could thread Jello:D

I am sorry I have no direct experience with the Orion, which was your question. I have been using a Nova 1624 with the DVR upgrade for a few years now. I also own a Nova Voyager drill press. so maybe you can extrapolate from my experience. There are some other regulars here that turn on Saturns and Galaxis, too.

No machine or company is perfect, but I am very pleased with my lathe and Nova Teknatools.

I am very fond of the DVR motor's torque and speed range and particularly the presets. I don't like the membrane button switches, but this is easily solved with stick on bump stops (I can explain further if someone wants to know). I have had zero problems with either DVR motor. It's a 1 3/4 hp motor so that may be a limitation for some. I don't do any coring.

I love the rotating headstock and can't imagine ever deliberately getting a lathe that does not have this feature. I agree that your neck & back will thank you. A sliding HS can provide similar relief, but I don't find that ergonomics are as good as with a rotating HS. And with a rotator I don't need to move the DC hood and I have all of the bed available for positioning the banjo, my articulated arm hollower and any magnetic lights, etc. My rotating HS is solidly built and has detents that accurately return it to correct alignment with the bed. Most commonly I use it swung out 25 degrees or so and the banjo has plenty of reach for this position. There are outrigger and dog leg accessories you can buy that let you turn rotated 90 degrees. That's not something I do.

Fit and finish of my machine is adequate to the purpose. Parts that need to be smooth are so finished. Those that don't need to be are less so. I purchased a bed extension for my lathe and I did end up having to file down the edges a tiny bit to get the TS to slide.

I have had good days and bad days with Nova customer service, but mostly good days. And I have no issues that were not ultimately resolved. Having read the stories here I don't think they are any better or worse than Laguna, Powermatic and Jet.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
i have demoed on DVRs and always been impressed with the performance and convinced that worse controls could not be imagined. - they improved the controls…
had an opportunity to tell a nova factory rep that their lathes need a speed dial and big red button to shut them off in an emergency. They fixed this.

Last edited:
I have had a Galaxi for ~ 2-1/2 years. Turned a couple hundred bowls/HF's with it. The only problem I've had was with the remote - worked for a little while then stopped. Nova doesn't sell it anymore, I suspect sales were too low to put forth the resources to fix the issues. Fit and finish is on par with similarly sized/priced lathes - they all need burrs knocked off and a little tweaking here and there.

I'm 99.9% sure the motors are the same for the 2 lathes. Other than swing/length differences, the most significant difference is the Galaxi HS pivots and slides, whereas the Orion only pivots. This could be an issue hollowing deep bowls/vessels as there is limited travel for the outrigger tool rest. With the Galaxi I have slid the HS down the bed a few inches to make room for some deeper vessels. I think you have to get to 8-10 inch depth or more before it is an issue.

As mentioned, I have and use the outrigger. The pivot HS and bolt on outrigger is why I chose the Galaxi, and both features work very well. IMO you want a bolt on outrigger that moves the toolrest with the lathe vs a floor mount where the lathe can "orbit around" and the toolrest is still. To my knowledge Nova still DOES NOT have the outrigger for the Orion available, and I would not buy that lathe without the outrigger.

While the DVR motor is not why I chose the lathe, it is a very nice setup. The 8 pre set speeds is an excellent feature. I much prefer the speed control setup vs a potentiometer, but then I like knowing what the rpm's are while others don't care. Not sure why the Aussie had trouble coring. I can core all day with mine and not come anywhere close to stalling it. I use a Woodcut Bowlsaver with 2 knives, largest core ~12". I run the lathe on 120v. Yes I can stall it, but I have to try. If I bury a side ground 5/8" bowl gouge into a chunk of wood it will stall, but it's a much heavier cut than I normally take. Large out of balance blanks with interrupted cuts can be a bit problematic. At speeds below ~300 rpm with significant imbalance (which is why the speed is slow), things are moving around and it can be difficult to control the cut size. The motor control attempts to control speed/torque, and torque is changing rapidly due to interrupted cuts. Sometimes it starts "hunting", and torque is jumping up and down, and the motor will just shut down. Typically the hmi says "low voltage", then resets itself. Hit start and you are off and running again, and unless you change something in this situation, it may happen again. It's actually a pretty good protection mechanism. Over 300 rpm it rarely happens - The control gets more samples, the imbalance is getting less, cuts are better, and things smooth out. With a balance piece and smooth cuts, low rpm operation is fine. Which brings me to the "auto detection" feature of the control. The idea is the control senses a catch or other anomaly and shuts down to prevent injury/damage, and I think it has 3 levels. I tried it on the least sensitive setting and it would shut down constantly. It's just too sensitive.

I purchased the lathe through Tools Plus online. I had never seen or touched one prior to buying. Like others, I love the pivoting HS concept, and IMO Nova did a good job on the Galaxi. It can do anything a fixed or sliding HS can do. I have just about maxed it out between centers, length and diameter, without issue. As mentioned I core bowls, do up to 15" dia x 12" deep hollow forms without issue.

l have owned a DVR-XP nearly 20 years. A few years back I upgraded the face to get the speed dial the wireless remote and the 5000 rpm. I’ve had no problems with this lathe that were not self inflicted. The blister buttons are different and take getting used to.
before I purchased this lathe I downloaded the operators manual and read it cover to cover. Amazing what myths you can debunk by doing this. Here is the link to the operating manual for the Orion.

By the way Mr. Hockenbery the “big red emergency stop button” was a solution to a problem that never existed in any of the DVR motors ever built.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
By the way Mr. Hockenbery the “big red emergency stop button” was a solution to a problem that never existed in any of the DVR motors ever built.
Just curious did the dvr make catches and dislodging pieces non existent? I would think hitting a big red button in a panic would be a lot easier then trying to get your finger on one of those red blister buttons to stop it.

Just curious did the dvr make catches and dislodging pieces non existent? I would think hitting a big red button in a panic would be a lot easier then trying to get your finger on one of those red blister buttons to stop it.
Oh no. I had 1 or 2 big catches that shut it down for “low voltage” - very hi torque spike. I have had a few pieces come lose and fly. I hit the off button vs the e stop. I have yet to hit the e-stop on purpose - I’ve hit it several times accidentally working on the bottom of a piece.

Hmm. I don't have much experience on the DVR, but have demoed on it before. Thing that surprised me the most was how much torque it has. Small looking motor, but no problems with it bogging down, and I am pretty sure I cored with it, but not positive. The thing I didn't like about it was the push button controls for speed changes. I have depended on twist the knob for too long, and trying to ramp up or down with the way it used to be set up was painfully slow for me.

Side note, like Bill Grumbine said once, I haven't met a lathe yet that I couldn't stall.

robo hippy

I upgraded from a Nova mini to a Galaxi a couple,e years ago. Have yet to use the emergency stop button(I did notice that Stuart Battie seemed to use the emergency stop button regularly on his lathe during his demo Sunday). It took a while, but I am now quite comfortable with the button controls. I have had some decals come off, but no mechanical issues at all. I chose the Galaxi over similar lathes because of the direct drive. I felt eliminating the belt drive would minimize vibration, and changing belts on my mini was a pain. I'm not sure what happens if the head stock bearings fail. When l got my lathe, l easily changed it to 220v/2HP. I have never stalled my Galaxi. I'm just a hobbyist, but l probably average about 20 hours a week turning 8 to10 inch bowls, 10 to 12" hollow forms. I'm just not in a rush. Largest spindle: 8" dia x 43" kiln dried Douglas fir. Largest bowl: 14" dia x 8" deep very wet red oak. The spindle was well balanced, and went from square to round smoothly. The red oak started at 15.5" x 12". I tried to supervise a fire wood cutter to reduce this half log to something I could haul. It was quite out of balance. I started at 350RPM (by the way, the speed is displayed for you before you push the on button) with no dancing. I don't have any added weight, and I have 2x8's under the feet for my height. The Orion doesn't seem to have any bigger foot print or weight; so maxing blank size my require you to add weight or bolt the Orion down. If l won the lottery, I would buy an AB, but with my budget, l would go with NOVA.

I have no experience with the DVR lathe. I was looking at them when I upgraded but went a different route because of all the bad reviews I read about the buttons for changing speeds. I also have neck and back problems so I wanted a rotating headstock. I went with the Record Power Envoy. I have had it a few months and love it. So much easier to turn the inside of a bowl. The R P Envoy will turn 16” over the bed and 39” outboard with the outrigger. I am very happy with the lathe so far and have no complaints. Their customer service seem to be very good. I got a email about a few people having problems with the controller. A few days later a new controller showed up in the mail. Now I have a spare if anything goes wrong with the one I have.

Attachments

• 8A8B9BBC-5008-49E8-9CFF-67C6A9EB94A3.jpeg
    8A8B9BBC-5008-49E8-9CFF-67C6A9EB94A3.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 41
  • C9BF928F-7F42-4CA6-A29E-3362662AB786.jpeg
    C9BF928F-7F42-4CA6-A29E-3362662AB786.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 41
Hmm. I am wondering how you like the outboard set up for your banjo. With my Vic 240, with the pivoting headstock, at the 30 degree setting the banjo on the lathe works fine. If I go to the 90 degree setting, I have to use the outboard set up and it is on a post that sits on the ground. The banjo can't be used on it, there is a receiver for the tool rest and to move it, you can pivot it, but other than that, you have to move the whole post, which isn't difficult, but is rather cumbersome. Your set up looks a bit better, but still not as easy to use as when the banjo is on the lathe bed....

robo hippy

@robo hippy , Record Power also makes this dogleg fitting for their banjo. It may be of interest to you.

I feel I should clarify something about Nova's membrane buttons. They use them a lot, but they aren't all the same. On the 1624 DVR upgrade they are difficult to feel because they are smooth and flat and there is no tactile feed back when actuated. They use similar buttons on the Voyager drill press, but it's less of an issue to me on my drill press.
The Viking drill press and Galaxi lathe use a different button incarnation which has a definite raised edge and a definite click and movement when actuated. I don't have a problem with the latter button type, and with the former type the solution is simply self adhesive "bump stops" applied to the buttons. The flat foam type work best.

Same DVR motor with 1 or 2 earlier generation control. Speed changes with only the up/down buttons is a pita. The buttons don't have tactile feel, but some blister buttons stuck on top really help. Retrofitting with the current generation control panel/speed knob would make it a nice lathe. They are a bit light and need weight or bolting down.

Hmm, that outrigger set up may work. I keep flashing back to the first variations of those when the pivoting headstocks were pretty new, which was on a Jet 14 inch lathe with the Reeves drive. That set up would bounce if you walked by it, even if the lathe was sitting on a concrete floor..... That set up does look a lot more stable.

robo hippy

Ok, so now I have a monkey wrench in my plans. I have seen a Nova 2024 used on craigslist for a great price. Anyone have thoughts on this machine?

Mark
I had a Nova 2024 for about 3 years. I upgraded mine to the new control panel (with the speed knob). In general, it was a pretty good lathe, but I do think it was a little over-powered (2.3hp) for the chassis it was on ... legs and bedways were way too lite. I built a shelf between the legs and loaded it with sand tubes to reduce vibration. I had problems with the tail stock (tore up 2 lead screws in the quill), and had an electronics failure that was apparently related to ESD (electro-static discharge in dry weather). Nova's tech support was good to deal with, but I'm more interested in turning than repairing lathes. Sold it and went with a Powermatic 3520C.

Hmm. I am wondering how you like the outboard set up for your banjo. With my Vic 240, with the pivoting headstock, at the 30 degree setting the banjo on the lathe works fine. If I go to the 90 degree setting, I have to use the outboard set up and it is on a post that sits on the ground. The banjo can't be used on it, there is a receiver for the tool rest and to move it, you can pivot it, but other than that, you have to move the whole post, which isn't difficult, but is rather cumbersome. Your set up looks a bit better, but still not as easy to use as when the banjo is on the lathe bed....

robo hippy
The outrigger for the Record Power comes with another banjo.

I've owned the Orion for a couple of months now. Overall I really like it. I'm still pretty far down the woodturning learning curve but have had a chance to turn a dozen or so bowls, some spindles, and few dozen pens with my kids. I initially had some QA and finish problems caused by poor packaging in China but I have found Teknatool very response. I definitely have the sense they want to make things right. With those problems fixed, the machine is smooth and quiet. I choose the Orion primary because of its compact footprint and capabilities at the price point. It's never stalled on me despite making many bad beginner mistakes (big catches, way to aggressive coring cuts, etc). The controls with the dial to change speed (twist for 10rpm; push and twist for 50rpm), 8 presets, and big red button are all easy to use. By contrast a friend has been teaching me on his 3 HP Oneway 2436. The Orion is not that lathe but nor do I have the room for that machine. Lastly wrt to an outrigger, Teknatool is selling the outrigger for the older 2024 for the Orion (and on sale at 50% off). I purchased it and bolted on my lathe but ultimately returned it. While it will work, it was clearly not designed for the Orion so the fit wasn't quite right. I can only hope Teknatool will sell a bespoke Orion outrigger.

Unfortunately I sold my Nova Comet lathe looked to “upgrade” to the Orion wood lathe. I purchased the Orion in November 2020, after my electrician upgraded our electrical panel box installing a dedicated 20 amp circuit and surge suppressor I was able to begin use in January 2021 Four months following the HMI circuit board began to malfunction. It eventually completely stopped functioning. I called Teknatool, sent emails and finally wrote to their headquarters in Clearwater, Florida. They finally responded saying they don’t have a replacement for the HMI circuit board, but could mail a used part. Having no alternative I accepted their offer. As of this date January 8, 2022 they still don’t have a new circuit board in stock. For the past few months I began having same issues with circuit board. When not in use I always disconnect power cords from all equipment, any day I expect it will completely stop working again. In late fall the quill in the tail stock began having problems opening and retracting, it eventually stopped, I called, emailed and no response from Teknatool. I took the tailstock to a machine shop and at my expense they repaired it. The bolt that attaches to the hand wheel moving the quill had broken, probably a $3.00 part? Anyway Teknatool advised me they do NOT have this bolt in stock and do not know when it will be available, I went to a hardware store and making it work until Teknatool can find this bolt.
It is for these reasons at this time I cannot provide a satisfactory rating for the Orion and/or Teknatool.

I want to be cautious how I say this, because I don't mean to insult or frustrate anyone. But - in my experience and seeing that of friends.....Nova - much like Laguna can make some nice equipment. BUT....both companies have very inconsistent support for their products. I choose the word inconsistent because it is the nicest word I could think of.....I went thru 1-1/2 years of frustration before I found out who the the outside sales rep is for my region. And - that was what was required to get the parts to me for a "fix-it-myself" scenario on a fully warrantied machine. So, while completely frustrating - I did get the machine working.
But it put a real damper on my evaluation of "desirability" of the brand. I think Nova's chucks are good....but anything they make with a plug in cord........well - I will pass.

Disappointing to hear of Nova DVR control board issues. With the global shortage of IC chips for everything its not surprising Teknatool is having shortages, being in NZ. I can say my Galaxi board has been trouble free for 3 years. No issues with the tailstock either.

Doug - my issue was with the Nova Voyager drill press. It ran so far out of round that literally - if you needed a 5/8" hole - you use a 1/2" drill bit. The chuck and quill both were badly out of spec. Thus far the electronics are good. It took me too long to get someone @Teknatool to respond.Dozens of phone calls and e-mails with no response. ( BTW...this was pre-covid.) It only happened because a retailer gave me the cell number of the Nova Teknatool rep. He was fantastic. If the rest of the company - especially customer service were like him, they would be my favorite company. But if he leaves their employ, I will sell anything I own made by Nova - and buy the brand he goes to. I am completely serious.

I want to be cautious how I say this, because I don't mean to insult or frustrate anyone. But - in my experience and seeing that of friends.....Nova - much like Laguna can make some nice equipment. BUT....both companies have very inconsistent support for their products. I choose the word inconsistent because it is the nicest word I could think of.....I went thru 1-1/2 years of frustration before I found out who the the outside sales rep is for my region. And - that was what was required to get the parts to me for a "fix-it-myself" scenario on a fully warrantied machine. So, while completely frustrating - I did get the machine working.
But it put a real damper on my evaluation of "desirability" of the brand. I think Nova's chucks are good....but anything they make with a plug in cord........well - I will pass.
I have three Nova chucks, price was reasonable and very functional. I had. Nova Comet belt driven effective and dependable. It was my first wood lathe, I just wanted to go a little bigger and something heavier. Having very good luck with the Nova Comet I only needed to replace belts so my experiences with Teknatool were none. I thought why not buy another Teknatool product and purchased the Orion.
I am not a negative person and I don’t like to be critical, but I have lost patience with Teknatool and I could not make a recommendation based on my experiences with the Nova Orion. I understand that there is a shortage of microchips and other key components. However, it is difficult to understand how Teknatool can be productive when they cannot stock a simple part like the bolt for tail stock wheel. And when staffing cannot respond to telephone voice mail messages/emails…and equally important they fail to have an effective inventory system to replace a bolt? There are no regional offices, regional reps so you are unfortunately dependent on their only “service” department in Florida. For a National and/or International company they certainly need to make some proactive changes.
Thank you and other turners for your support. I will most likely be looking for recommendations on another lathe and a company that provides customer service.

Disappointing to hear of Nova DVR control board issues. With the global shortage of IC chips for everything its not surprising Teknatool is having shortages, being in NZ. I can say my Galaxi board has been trouble free for 3 years. No issues with the tailstock either.
Thank you for your response. I understand Teknatool and others may have a shortage of electronic components. But I cannot see any excuse for their inability to supply a threaded bolt for tailstock wheel handle.
And, why does it take them weeks to respond? What is the purpose of a warranty when Teknatool cannot provide an opportunity to order/ship parts efficiently?
I regret selling my Nova Comet it was a great lathe, no problems an effective tool.

Doug - my issue was with the Nova Voyager drill press. It ran so far out of round that literally - if you needed a 5/8" hole - you use a 1/2" drill bit. The chuck and quill both were badly out of spec. Thus far the electronics are good. It took me too long to get someone @Teknatool to respond.Dozens of phone calls and e-mails with no response. ( BTW...this was pre-covid.) It only happened because a retailer gave me the cell number of the Nova Teknatool rep. He was fantastic. If the rest of the company - especially customer service were like him, they would be my favorite company. But if he leaves their employ, I will sell anything I own made by Nova - and buy the brand he goes to. I am completely serious.
You were fortunate to find a representative, someone in Teknatool who cares about customer service.

Hello All! I am a beginner/intermediate turner looking to upgrade from my Jet 1220 lathe. I am seriously considering the new Nova Orion machine. I like the rotating head (my neck issues) and the relatively small/expandable footprint for my small space. This is a new product and unfortunately I am unable to see one in person. I was wondering if anyone has this machine and can provide any insight. Any red flags? Fit and Finish? Glitches etc. It is strange making such a big investment without ever touching the product.
Thanks in advance!
I had a Nova Comet, very good lathe no problems. But I wanted something bigger and heavier when I retired. I purchased the Teknatool Orion had it just over one year. The circuit board malfunctioned within four months then completely stopped. I called Teknatool several times, emailed them and finally sent letters via USPS. Finally they responded and sent me a USED circuit board, and in past few months this used board is having problems. The quill on the tailstock started becoming difficult I called, emailed etc. finally they responded, in the interim I took the quill and tailstock to a machine shop and paid to have it repaired. I wrote back to Teknatool wanted to buy the bolt that connects handle to wheel of tailstock. Teknatool told me this bolt is out of stock also. I purchased a bolt at a hardware store, it isn’t pretty but it is functional, still after two months Teknatool does not have this bolt in stock.
At some point I have to decide what to do, as I am very frustrated by their unsatisfactory customer service.

Mark just like everything else that bolt is probably in a container stuck someplace waiting to be unloaded, I feel your pain. I'm lucky my DVR has run trouble free for 20 years or so. Also my Nova Viking drill press is absolutely perfect and is a dream to use. After 20 years that little wide U shaped piece of metal in the tailstock I felt needed changing and they did have it in stock. I don't pretend to know of the status of Teknatool down there in Florida but it could very well be like everywhere else with shortages of workers, it seems the only company with a full complement of workers is Amazon:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is what I am afraid of. Problems and no technical support. I guess I have time to think about it as this machine is not available for months. Perhaps I need to look at another manufacturer. I may consider a sliding headstock. Instead of rotating. My neck and back become sore on my current lathe. Any thoughts?

It appears the Nova Galaxi is available now. Same motor, 2” less swing, but there is an outrigger for the Galaxi, but not the Orion.

Record power has a couple of different size pivot HS lathes, dont know if they are in stock anywhere.

Back