• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

NRS question

For those of you that sharpen your NRS with the same angle on both sides, do you use it either side up depending on the direction you want to go? I imagine you'd change the bevel but it seems like that would work. What angle do you find the most effective? Thanks for your input.

do you use it either side up depending on the direction you want to go?
Remember you need to consider the direction the burr is going. So even if your top and bottom grind angles are the same, there is still a top and bottom bevel to the tool. The bottom bevel will be the the bevel that was ground last, and the burr will then point to the top bevel. But if top and bottom angles are the same it's easy enough to reverse the burr.

If you use the skew chisel type of NRS, then which ever side you sharpen last, can make the tool either right or left side swept back. I use a 60/25 grind, and most of the ones I use for bowls are swept back to the left side, like what used to be called an 'inside' bowl scraper shape. I do have one dedicated NRS that is swept back to the right side for cleaning up the inside of a recess, which is my main bowl mounting method.

robo hippy

My large D-Way inside bowl NRS cuts very well when I grind it upside down. They provided instructions and a gague to grind it upside down (or vice versa).

The top bevel rarely needs to be sharpened, I've found.

After I use up the burr off the grinder I'll hone the remnants off and raise a fresh burr using a hone. This is a trick I leaned somehwere on this or another similar forum.

Back