• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odd Tool Found - Name? Use?

My husband and I are working with a former member's wife to sell his tools since he is no longer able to turn. We brought all the tools home and while pricing we found this odd tool. We can't identify it by name or its use and at least 3 other turners have no idea how it would be used. looking for some assistance. The handle says it is a Sorby but a search of the Sorby site does not show it.

Attachments

• Funky Tool (1).jpg
    Funky Tool (1).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Funky Tool (2).jpg
    Funky Tool (2).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 198

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Shopsmith by Sorby

Way back when I started turning on a Shopsmith, I bought a Sorby gouge directly from Shopsmith. It had a handle that said Shopsmith.

I'm making a guess on that one. It looks like an attempt to have a shear scrape with the bottom edge flat to the tool rest.

-----odie-----

One of my lathe tools has a diamond shaped cutting angle similar to the one shown, the handle is marked from the house of woodturning. There are several angles you can use this tool to reach into tight spots and shear scrape on the bottom recess on bowls etc.

It is one of three tools in the Shopsmith pen making set. “It is not a bedan. I bought that set when I had a Shopsmith many, many years ago. The set also included a thin parting tool and a small roughing gouge. They no longer sell that set, I still have mine. I used it as a scraper. You could also use the point for groove lines. I believe at one time Sorby had the same design.

Last edited:
I have been helping the widow of a keen wood turner with disposing of his tools and there is a similar tool that nobody here in Calgary has been able to identify, or fathom out what it's used for.
The handle is labelled “Home of Woodturning”, which I think has gone out of business, and the shank has the “Sheffield” label.
After an internet search, I found something called a "Splay Tool" in the Crown Tools catalogue. However, they haven't bothered to reply to my inquiry. If it is for sheer scraping, I have better tools than this.

Attachments

• DSC01069.JPG
    DSC01069.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01072 (1).JPG
    DSC01072 (1).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 38
Can't really tell from the pictures, but it looks like a bedan tool. The bedan is generally wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. This one looks to have an angled bevel rather than square across. I have seen them used for turning beads and some detail on spindles.

robo hippy

I have been helping the widow of a keen wood turner with disposing of his tools and there is a similar tool that nobody here in Calgary has been able to identify, or fathom out what it's used for.
The handle is labelled “Home of Woodturning”, which I think has gone out of business, and the shank has the “Sheffield” label.
After an internet search, I found something called a "Splay Tool" in the Crown Tools catalogue. However, they haven't bothered to reply to my inquiry. If it is for sheer scraping, I have better tools than this.

Can't really tell from the pictures, but it looks like a bedan tool. The bedan is generally wider at the top and narrower at the bottom. This one looks to have an angled bevel rather than square across. I have seen them used for turning beads and some detail on spindles.

robo hippy
No,it's not a bedan. A bedan has a trapezoidal cross section and can be used for beads as well as a wide parting tool. This has a distinct diamond shape.

It looks like a Crown Splay Tool ... https://www.amazon.com/Crown-Hand-Tools-8-Inch-Splay/dp/B07K549FF6.

Amazon listing says: "The #271FW 3/8" Splay Tool from Crown is a relatively new hybrid type turning tool that can be used as a skew chisel, box scraper, a shear scraper, or for detail work on spindles. The 3/8" (10mm) wide blade is made from M2 High Speed Steel (HSS) and hardened to Rockwell 62-64. Tool is approximately 14-1/4" long overall with an 8-1/2" long stained Beech handle. Sheffield, England."

Thanks for the link! However, I asked Crown if there were instructions on using it or a link to a magazine article but after a month, they haven't replied. I've tried using it but have yet to see the logic behind its design.
I tried using it as a sheer scraper but I have a couple of sheer scrapers that work much, much better. I have also made scores of boxes and can't see how it could be superior to other box-making tools that I have.

With respect to bedans, there are two types. The French bedan has straight sides (as you look at it from the end, the tool shaft is square). The English bedan, on the other hand, has sloped sides (as you look at it from the end, the tool shaft is trapezoidal). Both of my English bedans were made by Crown.

With respect to bedans, there are two types. The French bedan has straight sides (as you look at it from the end, the tool shaft is square). The English bedan, on the other hand, has sloped sides (as you look at it from the end, the tool shaft is trapezoidal). Both of my English bedans were made by Crown.
Of course you are both right! I was showing my English origin:)
I have both types, made by Henry Taylor, although the French style is listed as a beading tool in the Lee Valley Tools catalogue.

Back