• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

odie

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
My given name is Kelly Odell, but my friends call me "odie", and I've been selling my turned bowls and platters online for the past few years, under the name of "eccentric old guy".
8.JPG
I have a great passion for turning. Originally, I bought some shop tools at an estate sale around 1975.....table saw (which I still have, rebuilt), band saw, jointer, drill press, 4x36 belt sander, and a few misc other tools. A couple years later, I bought a 1950's Shopsmith at a garage sale.....but didn't use the lathe function until 1982.....hook, line and sinker! From about 1975, to 1985 I was making wooden toys under the name Beaver Dam. I probably could have made a go of it, because the toys were selling at a few retail outlets......but, from the moment I began turning, my interests drastically changed! Well, you know how that goes! :rolleyes:
18 wheeler flat bed.JPG
Camper.jpg Hot Rod.jpg Veedub.jpg Pick-up truck.jpg Vette.jpg Z coupe.jpg
Anyway, the Shopsmith was a PITA to work with, so I bought a Northwood lathe around 1985 +/-.....Northwood was one of those come-and-go outfits that went out of business. The lathe had a Reeves drive (never again!), In 1992, I bought an Australian Woodfast lathe, which I feel is an excellent lathe, and I still have it.....and use it extensively. A big mistake was buying The Woodfast lathe with a 5-speed pulley.......I changed belts positions for a dozen years, before I finally wised up and purchased a VFD.......what a difference that made!;)IMG_1791.JPG I would like to upgrade to another lathe eventually......one with a little bigger capacity, and either sliding or pivoting headstock......but, I don't feel a new lathe will make me a better turner.....since the Woodfast is such a great lathe.

Although, I am now 68 years old, I still have one son who is a senior in HS, and another 24yr old son who is moving to Oregon, as I type.
This is Kendahl:
21557982_1740461462927069_3765147537861629040_n.jpg

Ken is "on again, off again" learning to turn bowls.
IMG_3290.JPG
To be continued......maybe! o_O

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I made a full set of vehicles for my son. Quite a bit of fun. Never tried to sell any of them. Glad you can get your son interested. My son wasn't interested at all and now lives too far away to work with him.

odie

TOTW Team
I made a full set of vehicles for my son. Quite a bit of fun. Never tried to sell any of them. Glad you can get your son interested. My son wasn't interested at all and now lives too far away to work with him.

Hopefully, Ken will develop a stronger interest over time, but he's only 18yrs old......and, there are just so many other things in his life that has his attention......like girls, sports, and computer games! I'll take whatever I can get, and try to direct a little of his attention to the shop, but his "little world" is pretty busy at the moment. :rolleyes:

John, hopefully your son will understand the personal satisfaction and value of creating......and, naturally all of us fathers want to participate in steering our sons......but, it must come naturally, and we do need to keep the fatherly effort to a point where it's appreciated, and not rejected. That's a pretty tall order, considering just how important our sons are to us daddys! :D

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
I would like to upgrade to another lathe eventually......one with a little bigger capacity, and either sliding or pivoting headstock......but, I don't feel a new lathe will make me a better turner.....since the Woodfast is such a great lathe.

I'm now having second thoughts about upgrading to another lathe. I might just take this Woodfast lathe to the end of the line for me! :D After all......it is a very good lathe. Like I said before, getting a new lathe won't make me a better turner, and I just don't feel all the hassle of changing over to a new lathe will be worth the effort. A little more swing might be nice, but I so seldom have access to very large pieces of the kind of premium woods that I prefer to turn, in order to make that a major consideration. 16" swing is a good overall size for this kind of turning.....;)

-----odie-----
keep on turnin'.jpg

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
My opinion is that there is only one reason for getting a new lathe: you want it.

Bill......If it wasn't for the upgrade of the Robust banjo, things might have been different, and a new lathe would still be very appealing......but, that great new banjo has been a "game changer" in how well the old Woodfast lathe is working out for me! ;)

Other than the Robust banjo, there are all new new bearings, drive belt, quality VFD Minarik controller, Leeson 1/1/2 hp DC motor.......there really isn't any parts that could wear out that isn't new! What I have is the "skeleton" of the original lathe it was when I first bought it in 1992! :eek:

Keep on, keepin' on, Bill! :D

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
October 2022

Still turning everyday on the original Australian Woodfast 16" lathe.

If I ever get a new lathe, it will have a rotating headstock.

There are a few lathes with rotating headstocks, but there is none that checks all the boxes for me.

The Vicmarc VL240 is the closest, but that banjo doesn't match the standards I'm looking for.

If I could get the VL240 with a Robust, or Powermatic style banjo......maybe! :)

The Robust Sweet 16, or the Powermatic 3520c are wonderful lathes.....but, no rotating headstock.....too bad.

note: I also feel that for my kind of turning 20" is the maximum swing I would be interested in.

-----odie-----

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A rotating headstock is one of those things that you alone can decide if you need it. Right now your Woodfast is in perfect working order and you like it and have no reason to change it even though it doesn't have a rotating headstock. The Vicmarc is obviously the best lathe with a rotating headstock. Still, the Woodfast is a tough old bird that probably won't ever die unless there is some unforeseen catastrophe like a direct hit by a meteorite. I had my fill of rotating headstock lathes with my first lathe, a Delta 1440 Ironbed. The two problems I didn't like were the toolrest cantilevered way off the side of the lathe bed and no tailstock support. Admittedly, the Delta was a dog that shouldn't be compared to the Vicmarc. In addition to rotating, the Delta headstock could also slide down the bed. As a newbie, I thought that was great, but it was actually the worst of both worlds. It had a loosey-goosey detent for the headstock stops, but that meant it was a royal pain in the rump to get the headstock and tailstock aligned. The upshot of all this is that I was constrained to using that lathe as a fixed-headstock lathe to avoid the hassle of trying to get the headstock aligned with the tailstock. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

odie

TOTW Team
A rotating headstock is one of those things that you alone can decide if you need it. Right now your Woodfast is in perfect working order and you like it and have no reason to change it even though it doesn't have a rotating headstock. The Vicmarc is obviously the best lathe with a rotating headstock. Still, the Woodfast is a tough old bird that probably won't ever die unless there is some unforeseen catastrophe like a direct hit by a meteorite. I had my fill of rotating headstock lathes with my first lathe, a Delta 1440 Ironbed. The two problems I didn't like were the toolrest cantilevered way off the side of the lathe bed and no tailstock support. Admittedly, the Delta was a dog that shouldn't be compared to the Vicmarc. In addition to rotating, the Delta headstock could also slide down the bed. As a newbie, I thought that was great, but it was actually the worst of both worlds. It had a loosey-goosey detent for the headstock stops, but that meant it was a royal pain in the rump to get the headstock and tailstock aligned. The upshot of all this is that I was constrained to using that lathe as a fixed-headstock lathe to avoid the hassle of trying to get the headstock aligned with the tailstock. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Howdy Bill.....

I enthusiastically agree about the Woodfast. It's an excellent old lathe, and if I never find the perfect lathe with a rotating headstock, I'm not all that disappointed. I'm not in active pursuit of the perfect rotating headstock lathe......but, if it comes along, it will be difficult to pass it up.

In the mean time.......I'm still turning every day......and, loving life! :)

-----odie-----

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Odie, why are you seeking a rotating headstock?

Back