• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Old Growth Southern Yellow Pine

Anybody turn any green old growth southern pine? I put some on the lathe and the experience was less than wonderful. Almost seems like it might be easier to turn dry.
Any tips?

First post. Been reading the forum for about 2 years, great community!

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I turn Ponderosa Pine sometimes. When wet, it can be sticky with sap, and makes the shop smell like I spilled a gallon of turpentine or something. Dry, it can be ... well, dry ... Splits and cracks and defects etc tend to show up. Not my favorite. But I do like the look of the staining in our beetle-killed pine, so it is sometimes worth it.

Dave, the beetle staining sound nice, post a pic if you have one.
Got one roughed out. Had to sharpen every couple passes. Does not cut well unless tool is very sharp.

20211004_162926_cropped.jpg

I have turned a fair amount of dry yellow pine lumber into tools over the years, also laminated a fair amount of dry yellow pine lumber
into various tools and prototype items. Turning green yellow pine is not much fun.

To my thinking, overcoming tear-out would be the challenge. Good time to perfect your sharpening and "fast speed/slow tool movement" technique.
You da man - most of us would be deterred by the first long yellow pine splinter shoved through a finger.

Steve, I've turned a few pieces from pine that looked very similar to your example. It was a commission for some folks that wanted a few pieces to remember an old tree in their grandparents yard. I don't think I'd do it again, it was very messy. The wood is very difficult to cut cleanly and even more difficult to sand in addition to making a mess of my tools and lathe. I resorted to spraying it with WD-40 and wet sanding. The sandpaper would clog instantly without the WD-40. I'm sure any solvent would work, I just had that on hand. I had to use it through all the grits. After sanding, I let it sit for about a week if I remember right and then used Deft rattle can lacquer for the final finish. In the end the pieces actually turned out ok and they were happy. I'm sure that even if you could find some 100 year old wood it would still be difficult to work with, it's just the nature of the wood.

Attachments

• Pine bowl 1 (2).jpg
    Pine bowl 1 (2).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 18
There are plenty of spectacular artistic pieces turned from segmented pine configuring the grain orientation in patterns on the piece,
Pine is one of those woods that gets no respect it gets a bad reputation because it is commonly used in the construction trades.

I’ve been turning some Mugo Pine, and I find it interesting. I get sap buildup in the flute that has to be cleaned every sharpening, and it seems to need frequent sharpening, but it is probably not similar to SYP.
The high resin content makes the knots really pass light.

The southern yellow pine that I have been exposed to has been sourced from lumber yards so I have not tried turning any, however it is excellent structural lumber.
The pine that is grown locally hear is eastern white pine and norway (red) pine.
The red pine will gum up everything especially sand paper but it is excellent structural lumber. The one major project that I used it for was a retractable stair way for the loft in my shop. The balusters were all turned to as close to a finished surface as possible. The wood was cut from one tree and custom milled by myself using a WoodMizer band mill to 10/4 to get 2" finished material for the stringers stair treads and balusters.
Implort 2-5-2010 193.JPG
The white pine I have turned some bowls from, a few goblets, and some barber poles, but it is kind of uninspiring and it oxidizes to a worse look. The clear wood is easy to sand and does not clog sandpaper, but the knots usually have a lot of pitch. The barber poles were painted by the barber but on the first one he didn't seal the knots so now they show through the paint.
Goblet125.jpg

Steve, I've turned a few pieces from pine that looked very similar to your example. It was a commission for some folks that wanted a few pieces to remember an old tree in their grandparents yard. I don't think I'd do it again, it was very messy. The wood is very difficult to cut cleanly and even more difficult to sand in addition to making a mess of my tools and lathe. I resorted to spraying it with WD-40 and wet sanding. The sandpaper would clog instantly without the WD-40. I'm sure any solvent would work, I just had that on hand. I had to use it through all the grits. After sanding, I let it sit for about a week if I remember right and then used Deft rattle can lacquer for the final finish. In the end the pieces actually turned out ok and they were happy. I'm sure that even if you could find some 100 year old wood it would still be difficult to work with, it's just the nature of the wood.
Curt, that wood does look like what I have. Guess it is just going to be difficult to work with.

Back