• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

On Potatoes and Wood

Sort of in line with the gag by Odie, I recall an article in an old Fine Woodworking issue dealing with potatoes and wood. The spoon carver profiled was a Scandanavian sort, and he used the starch of a boiled potatoe (for those who remember a certain US vice-president) to seal the endgrain on his green-carved spoons. I tried it on some of mine, though I had never had much problem with splitting on spoons, and it seemed to work. Theory says that starch would love the water and get into the pores of the wood, helping slow the evaporation. Substitute for anchorseal, don't know. I don't need either, having a basement and places with higher relative humidity to store fresh blanks. Those with wood, worries, and no anchorseal might give it a whirl.

potatoes and wood

never did it on fresh wood but I've used once an old receipt to make and do French Polish.
In this receipt thy used starch from potatoes as a filler. And this worked well.
Squirrel

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You mean I've wasted all that money on Anchorseal when I could have just smeared my left over mashed potatoes on the logs. :)

humidity

As an experiment, I rough turned a wet green wood bowl and stored it in a plastic bucket filled with the shavings from the rough turning. When I got back to the turning a week or so later, the bowl was covered with mold.:eek: I suspect that a very high basement humidity would promote a simular result.

Charlie M

You mean I've wasted all that money on Anchorseal when I could have just smeared my left over mashed potatoes on the logs. :)

:eek:Left Over mashed taters...isn't that bad juju.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Charlie storing wet bowls in the shavings is the best way I know to get mold. I don't do it anymore. I either seal them with anchorseal or put them in boxes with the lid shut. The idea of using shavings was to slow down the moisture loss but it creates a perfect invironment for mold. A box with the lid closed reduces air movement and does about the same thing but the mold is reduced considerably. At least in my shop anyway.
If I think I have a problem wood that I reallly want to save i put it in a plastic bag, then reverse the bag every day for several weeks. then I'll transfer it to a box of brown bag.
I think I'll just eat the potatoes.

Out of curiosity, if there is relatively high humidity in a basement etc, does that negate the need for anchorseal?
Thanks

It can, since they both aim to do the same thing, slow the loss of moisture from the surface to a rate which can be replaced by moisture evolving from the interior. As others have mentioned, keeping it close to 100% relative humidity - actually at 80% , the EMC for 18% moisture -, is a guarantee of mold. Mildew will grow down to 16% or so, so search out a place at 65-70% for drying the first three weeks, to get your work a good start, then to your turning RH for another three, and you should be good to go on a 3/4 wall thickness. Weigh to make sure.

I am assuming that starch is like anchorseal, creating a mini-environment where loss is slowed even in low RH humidity situations.

NB - with heating season coming on, don't dummy up and leave a fresh cherry bowl under a heating duct. I know a Polack who did that two years ago, then made a night fire. :mad:

storing wet bowls in the shavings is the best way I know to get mold. I don't do it anymore And I have been doing it on purpose for the last few years to turn pine to a nice silvery gray color. Way more interesting then the way it comes naturally.

Last edited:
Stored a small (maybe 6 x 6) oak urn in plastic grocery sack a few years ago and sorta forgot it was there. When rediscovered it was green, of course, but dry, and had developed some nice spalting. Finish turned and finished it's one of my sweetie's favorite pieces and not for sale.

Just a semi-relevant anecdote, not a recommended procedure.

potatoes and wood

Guys,

I think most of you do not cook but only eat the food your wifes prepared for you. Starch of Potatoes is a DRY product, milled in very small particles and it is used in teh French kitchen to make sauces thicker.
It was used as a grain filler before finishing with French polish.
So ... no smashed potatoes ...
Squirrel.

Back