• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

One Way Chuck stuck

I purchased a Delta Rockwell lathe that had a Oneway chuck attached. it works excellent but when I attempted to remove the chuck it seems to be almost welded on the threaded spindle. Is there some way that I may loosen it to remove it? Thanks for your help.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I had the same problem on my harbor freight lathe.. even the original spanner wrenches were spread wide from prior owner trying to remove it I guess.. what I ended up doing was to squeeze back one of the spanners to fit and tie it to the lathe bedways to keep it in place then stuck one of the chuck bars (mine uses 2 bars to open/close the chuck, as opposed to using a single key) into the main chuck body (part of the threaded hub) and heated the headstock spindle and chuck threaded area with a heat gun for a while (til it was JUST too hot to grab comfortably) and then used a mallet to whack the bar and it popped the chuck loose.. since then I made a washer (cut from a piece of nylon plastic) between headstock and chuck.. One other thought - Look very closely at your chuck where the threaded portion is and see if you see any signs of a set screw (present or missing) - some chucks came with one for lathes that had reverse.. someone might have put a setscrew in there locking your chuck to the threads.. hopefully if that is the case, threads have not been damaged in attempting to remove the chuck... I'd recommend checking THAT first of all before starting in on my first method.. :)

Glen, I see where you just joined the forum yesterday, so welcome. I don't want to presume anything because I don't know how much experience you have. This might sound like overly basic advice, but are you applying the spindle lock when you're trying to loosen the chuck? If you can lock the spindle, you could try a strap-type wrench like plumbers use occassionally on pipe fittings. Most big box stores have them. Get one with a long handle, if possible, to get a little extra leverage. As Brian mentioned some turners use a plastic washer where the chuck seats. I haven't personally needed them. I'm sure you've already applied some PB Blaster or other shot of penetrating oil?

I don't use Oneway chucks and apologize for not knowing whether they have a grub screw in the insert. If there is one, it could be locking the chuck in place.

Glen, I see where you just joined the forum yesterday, so welcome. I don't want to presume anything because I don't know how much experience you have. This might sound like overly basic advice, but are you applying the spindle lock when you're trying to loosen the chuck? If you can lock the spindle, you could try a strap-type wrench like plumbers use occassionally on pipe fittings. Most big box stores have them. Get one with a long handle, if possible, to get a little extra leverage. As Brian mentioned some turners use a plastic washer where the chuck seats. I haven't personally needed them. I'm sure you've already applied some PB Blaster or other shot of penetrating oil?
Hi John and Brian, I used both of your methods and. Was successful in removing the chuck. The lathe is not a delta Rockwell but Beaver Rockwell made in Guelph, Ontario. It is a grey cast iron model with a morse taper threaded to a bolt through baring housing. In my successful attempt I seem to have altered the baring surface and now my head with the pulleys is binding. Do you have any suggestions? The lathe is an old one. I remember in my high school days using one like it when I was engaged in shop classes. This lathe was neglected in a moist environment and the threads were rusty. I guess that is why I got it for a song.

Hi John and Brian, I used both of your methods and. Was successful in removing the chuck. The lathe is not a delta Rockwell but Beaver Rockwell made in Guelph, Ontario. It is a grey cast iron model with a morse taper threaded to a bolt through baring housing. In my successful attempt I seem to have altered the baring surface and now my head with the pulleys is binding. Do you have any suggestions? The lathe is an old one. I remember in my high school days using one like it when I was engaged in shop classes. This lathe was neglected in a moist environment and the threads were rusty. I guess that is why I got it for a song.
Thanks John, all is well. The chuck is off and the binding of the sealed bearings is corrected. Thanks for your quick response!

Thanks for your suggestion. The chuck is off and all is well. Thanks for you speedy response!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The lathe is not a delta Rockwell but Beaver Rockwell made in Guelph, Ontario. It is a grey cast iron model with a morse taper threaded to a bolt through baring housing
Glen, you're lathe is something like this one?.....just curious.
1617125090330.png

Thanks for your suggestion. The chuck is off and all is well. Thanks for you speedy response!
Glen, glad to hear all is well with getting the chuck off. I just saw Odie posted a photo and looks similar to what I saw when I Googled the lathe as you described. Best of luck as you venture deeper into the world of turning and get your lathe tuned-up. BTW - You will find a lot of help on this forum and I'm sure there a few folks that probably have experience with your make/model of lathe too so don't be bashful about asking for help when needed. :)

Glen, glad to hear all is well with getting the chuck off. I just saw Odie posted a photo and looks similar to what I saw when I Googled the lathe as you described. Best of luck as you venture deeper into the world of turning and get your lathe tuned-up. BTW - You will find a lot of help on this forum and I'm sure there a few folks that probably have experience with your make/model of lathe too so don't be bashful about asking for help when needed. :)
Thanks

My Nova chuck came with a thin Teflon washer. How did I double on my reply? Obviously computer error.

Back