• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway Easy Core 16 " Baseplate

Maybe you could cut the internal steel rod down so you base can work on your 16” lathe. There should be a set screw that holds a internal steel rods inside each post that need to be reduced in height. Mark each steel rod so you know which post it goes in. If the outside post are too tall then also trim those as needed.

Suggest asking Oneway for the height measurements for the post and rod that fits a 16” lathe. Then take your base post, steel bars and measurements to someone with a metal cutting bandsaw. Shouldn’t cost too much for a shop to make 4 simple cuts.

Maybe you could cut the internal steel rod down so you base can work on your 16” lathe. There should be a set screw that holds a internal steel rods inside each post that need to be reduced in height. Mark each steel rod so you know which post it goes in. If the outside post are too tall then also trim those as needed.

Suggest asking Oneway for the height measurements for the post and rod that fits a 16” lathe. Then take your base post, steel bars and measurements to someone with a metal cutting bandsaw. Shouldn’t cost too much for a shop to make 4 simple cuts.
Thanks Karl. Your suggestion makes sense. The posts are the issue, as I cannot set the knife and knife support bar any lower in the posts, and I don't want to modify the posts in case I get a second larger lathe later. I am prepared to get a new 16" baseplate if I cannot find a used one that someone wants to sell, but would prefer a used one if I can find one at a lower cost than new.

Thanks Karl. Your suggestion makes sense. The posts are the issue, as I cannot set the knife and knife support bar any lower in the posts, and I don't want to modify the posts in case I get a second larger lathe later. I am prepared to get a new 16" baseplate if I cannot find a used one that someone wants to sell, but would prefer a used one if I can find one at a lower cost than new.
Don’t blame you for not wanting to cut down the posts in that case. Coring on a bigger lathe with a bigger motor will be nice someday. Here’s hoping you can find someone who upgrade from a 16” base.

As for me, I got lucky and only had to cut the center steel rods down by one inch to make a 25” base work for my 24” Vicmarc Lathe.

Back