• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway Vacuum Drum Chuck, 8"

Website
www.tonyperelli.org
Hi - anyone have one of the large, 8", oneway drum chucks hanging around they want to pass on? Spindle size that I need is 1-¼″ x 8 TPI but those are easy to swap out.
Thanks!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Wow ... just checked the Oneway website - almost $250 and to call for availability.

As @Gary Beasley says - build your own. Use a Schedule 40 or 80 "coupler/coupling" fitting. If you use MDF be sure to seal the hell out of it. Some other type of thick plastic or PVC foam board is preferable. AND, I would use a faceplate - NOT a tapped thread (especially on MDF) for a chuck of this size. With a large vac chuck you will be probably be turning larger pieces and a faceplate would be safer.

The larger chuck in the photos below is a 6" coupler (a 6-1/2" ID) and it does a lot of "sucking". If you can find an 8" coupler the "sucking" would be almost exponential. :)

Attachments

• P1020818.jpg
    P1020818.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P1020823.jpg
    P1020823.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
A friend made a serviceable large vacuum chuck out of a sonotube--the cardboard tubes used for concrete pilings. If you keep it fairly short, seal it well, and use a wood rim and base, they work nicely.

Website
www.tonyperelli.org
Thanks all! I love the idea of making your own. My time in the workshop has been limited and my list of making things is long...so at the moment, I'd rather purchase someones used oneway and spend the limited time I have in the workshop turning wood:)

Thanks!

Back