• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Orlando Salcedo

Hello all. I'm new to wood turning, so I joined this community to learn as much as I can from you all. It's a relaxing skill that I hope to turn into something more. What that is... I don't know. Let's see where this takes me!

So, I'm a New York City EMT, with well over 20 years experience. About eight years ago, I happened to fall into woodworking as a hobby. It's awesome and takes me to another place other than the stresses of EMS. My late father-in-law had an extensive wood workshop, that I now use. Mostly Jet and Delta tools of the older variety that's built to last. I'm slowly making the shop my own while keeping his touch.

Anyway, I recently decided to get into wood turning, so I bought a Grizzly G0766. Yeah, I went all in! I haven't bought any of the accessories yet, such as chucks, etc. I did find an old collection of traditional wood turning tools that my father-in-law had on one of the shelves. Man, are they sharp! The first thing I plan on getting is a grinder with sharpening jig, thenpen turning supplies, and move up from there. I hope to learn as much as I can here

Welcome to the forums. You might want to look for a turning club to get hands on help and answers. You will find lots of answers here. I suggest one question in each post as compound questions you may only get the answer to part of it. We have a great brain pool here and all are willing to help.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the forum. Orlando. I second Gerald's recommendations. After two or three replies, discussion threads tend to run on a single track so a single topic or question usually works best to get the answers that you want. Also to get the best visibility to a question I would recommend posting in the Woodturning Discussion Forum and/or the Getting Started Forum.

Back