• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PAPR Systems

OK, I get easily confused with numbers and fine details so I wonder if there's a simple, straightforward review of the various PAPR systems comparing them in terms of filtering capability? In leu of that are there a couple of features or categories to look for to compare them? I'm asking specifically about the filtering capability, not style or comfort.

You might also be interested in the impact resistance (e.g Z87 & Z87+). But as to filtration ratings do a search on NIOSH ratings: n95, n100, p100 and HEPA. That may "clear the air".

Dave I am no expert…. But own 3 PAPRs of different brands. I would refer to the OSHA and ANSI for edification on standards of measure and assigned protrction factors. Clearly, your want to protect your lungs and face, and I commend you for taking this serious enough to research. I wish it more common.

Interesting that the Power Cap doesn't appear to be rated. https://pekesafety.com/products/power-cap-active-impact-visor-replacement-kit?variant=29892926242894
Products that do not list an explicit NIOSH approval on our website do not carry such an approval and should not be used in OSHA regulated environments without the expressed, written approval of a qualified safety manager or local representative of OSHA. All respiratory and safety equipment, regardless of approval, should not be used without prior medical sign-off by a certified physician.

Of course I could have misunderstood. Wouldn't be the first time.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
And why I'll most likely stick with my 3M Airstream. Appreciate your input Tim.
I’m keeping my Airstream. Even though it has been discontinued, I have about ten filters which should last me at least ten years which is pretty longer than I will last. I also have three batteries which is two more than I really need. I also have a spare polycarbonate visor and several face seals. I can fabricate other items. I also have a Versaflo which is super nice although the external turbo unit and hose make it feel like a space suit and I bump into things in the cramped spaces of my ultra tiny shop.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Does anyone know if the prefilter can be fabricated from a similar rated material cut to size? I tend to be very frugal.

Al, what does the prefilter look like? On the Airstream it is a piece of open-cell foam. It can be washed and reused for as long as it stays in one piece, That can probably be found at McMaster-Carr. If it is pleated filter material then it might be wise to not be pinching pennies when it comes to your health.

Website
www.instagram.com
This is it Bill. And it does appear to be open cell foam.
3m-prefilter-tr-3600.jpg

This is an option that i was looking at and it is MERV 16 Filter material in a roll. Not sure if it is a good choice or not. Reviews say it is stiff like card stock paper and I wonder if it will impede the air flow.

pEJTqaI.png

I also thought about similar rolls of Carbon Pad Pre Filter Roll for Air Purifiers Furnace Filters Trash Cans and Air Conditioner Filters. This is about 1/16" thick. I don't think it would impede the air flow like the MERC 16 one above might.

clIiPDd.png

The actual 3m prefilters are about $25 for a pack of ten. They are extremely thin open cell like you've described but not as expensive as I originally thought.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The actual 3m prefilters are about $25 for a pack of ten. They are extremely thin open cell like you've described.

$25 for a pack of ten prefilters is cheap considering that it is industrial PPE. I would be very hesitant to make a "better" filter because it might reduce the effectiveness of the main filter because of reduced airflow.

Back