• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Parting Tools

Is there any advantage of a fluted parting tool versus the standard one that's been around forever ? Do they cut any cleaner with less tearout ?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
depends- the fluted give a nice crisp finished edge.
Most of my use of the parting tool doesn’t require a finished edge

with a traditional parting tool a peeling cut makes a fuzzy edge on entry
you can get a pretty clean edge by starting the cut with the tip pointing down below center, raising the handle to get into peeling position and completing the cut. Sort of negative rake scraper entry.

a great spindle turner I know was showing the fluted parting tool in a demo - used it to cut a darn fine pommel

a great spindle turner I know was showing the fluted parting tool in a demo - used it to cut a darn fine pommel
I bought one about 30 years ago for that purpose but I found a much easier and cleaner method using a the leading point on a skew.
The only thing I use a parting tool for is parting and if the cut end needs help the long point on a skew or a detail gouge does a better job.

Proper technique helps any style of parting tool. I've seen way too many people just stab the tool straight in and use it like a scraper. Introducing it high on the work and rotating it down as the diameter reduces is really important. I have about a half dozen parting tools, and the one I reach for most often is the 1/16" crown tool that looks like a butcher knife. Personally, I don't see a marked improvement with the fluted style.

Any parting cuts I make, I plan to clean them up with a spindle detail gouge. I think the fluted parting tools do cut a bit cleaner though.

robo hippy

I have many different types of parting tools. As far as parting off I use the Dway or Carter parting tool as they work better than the traditional parting tool in that application because they step down the thickness the deeper they go and don’t burn the wood. I also have the Sorby thin kerf parting tool I have modified, but the blade is not tapered like the Way or Carter. I use traditional parting tools, but not for actually parting off unless it is a small piece.

I have many different types of parting tools. As far as parting off I use the Dway or Carter parting tool as they work better than the traditional parting tool in that application because they step down the thickness the deeper they go and don’t burn the wood. I also have the Sorby thin kerf parting tool I have modified, but the blade is not tapered like the Way or Carter. I use traditional parting tools, but not for actually parting off unless it is a small piece.
Appears the Carter parting tool is no longer sold or maybe it’s out of stock. Is the Carter parting tool much different than D-Way’s?

@Karl Loeblein It would be the Carter and Sons parting tool, not Carter products. I can’t say that either one his better than the other. I got the Carter and Sons parting tool from an estate sale. I had the Dway, but gave it to a good friend. The only reason I kept the Carter and Son was because it was in a nice Thompson handle. If the Dway was in a nice handle I would have kept the Dway. Dway’s parting tool is tapered the length where the Carter and Sons is in. steps.

the. Tapered ultra-thin D-Way parting tool is my go to for parting off small stuff. The regular 1/8” parting tool (also D-Way) sees more use sizing flats in prepping spindles. If more relief is needed I break out the bedpan.

Back