• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Patrick Bremser

Aloha All!!

I am Patrick Bremser and I have been turning more and more over the last 7years.
A good friend introduced me to turning when I came to visit him many years ago. He gave me a little chunk of walnut and guided me in turnign it into a beautiful little sake cup shape, entirely with a round nose scraper and a parting tool. Since then I have been on a gradual yet steady climb into the art. At the moment I am a few days away from receiving my 3rd lathe and its the Laguna 1836. Currently workign on the delta 46-460. Attached are a few of my latest turnings. I am also a chef and turning bowls for me is all about food use. Being in hawaii, I am in awe of the old traditional shapes of the umeke and calabashes of old Hawaii along with the massive collection of woods we have here in the islands.
I am glad to have finally joined the group and look forward to the epic resource that is the AAW Alos in the mix is a photo of me and my wife and our pup.

Mahalo!!!
Patrick

bowls and sunset-33.jpgbramsenswinter2022-46.jpgkamanibowls-7.jpgkamanibowls-1.jpgbramsenswinter2022-37.jpgbramsenchristmas2021-13.jpg8121-34.jpgcliffsunset61421-1.jpgcliffsunset61421-11-Edit.jpgbramsenswinter2022-65.jpgbowls and sunset-21.jpgbowls and sunset-5.jpg

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Welcome to the forum. Umeke means simply any wooden container. Calabashes would be more appropriate overall for what we do. Looks like you missed the good old days when Robyn was in the loop and was bringing in all the traveling woodturners teaching at all the clubs. Maybe is time to restart the club! Aloha from Maui

Thanks for the clarification, Emiliano! I’m kinda just flying blind! Learning as I go as I don’t have a teacher or mentor over here. I have seen the website for the Kauai Woodturners but have t reached out to Robyn as the website hasn’t been updated in many years. I figured I’d join the big group AAW and then see what happened. Maybe some of the other turners would come out of the shadows. Who knows. Aloha!!

Hello Patrick,
Your bowls are very nice looking. I've only been turning about 2 years as a hobby. Your story is uplifting. Keep up the inspired work.
Rick in northern California

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks Bill! And actually this intro post is because I read that already. If I read that wrong and this is posted incorrectly somehow, please let me know. Thanks.

Not a major problem, I fixed the error which happens frequently. I haven't figured out a way to automatically make the thread title be the member's username other than having it as a note in a sticky thread ... and that doesn't seem to be as effective as we would like it to be. The reason for this is to make searching for your introduction much easier. If you click on Filter on the Introductions index page then you can either enter the name if you know it or you can sort the threads by the Title, which in this case means the username (the member's real name). The threads can be arranged in ascending or descending order. Here is a Help topic on Sorting Threads.

Back