• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paul DuBose

Hello from the Houston area! I'm recently retired and also new to Gulf Coast Woodturners and AAW - I'm a novice turner. My first turning was to make a 6" x 30" wooden drum for a DIY drum sander. I used my Shopsmith that I got back in the 80's, it came with the lathe tools but I had never used them. I had trouble using the standard chisels, so I got the idea from YouTube to make some DIY carbide tools which were much easier. Since then I started watching more YouTube videos and decided to try my hand at making some candle stick holders. The more I watched, the more I wanted to learn how to use standard turning tools and to try making things like bowls and hollow forms so, I picked up a used lathe (the Shopsmith wouldn't cut it), and some chisels and here I am. Over the past week I turned my first bowl from a small purchased blank, made a half dozen bowl blanks from a 18" Hickory tree that was freshly cut down, struggled through a 1st turning on a twice turned bowl using one of the hickory blanks, and just finished a bowl from a purchased spalted blank. I think I'm learning and getting better at using the tools, but boy howdy did that green Hickory blank beat me up!

Attachments

• 20240222_132515.jpg
    20240222_132515.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240226_222053.jpg
    20240226_222053.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 1stBowla.jpg
    1stBowla.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240301_001043.jpg
    20240301_001043.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 30
At the risk of sounding snide and not intending to, unless you need the bark for a live edge please consider removing the bark before turning. A wood chisel and mallet can usually peel it off pretty easily and this saves you from the trauma of turning it off.

I didn't know that this is what some people do (removing the bark), I'll give that a try next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

Welcome to the forum. Just finished turning 18 logs of hickory and made a total of approx. 120 bowls in the last 3 yrs. Learned a lot from this forum and also learned that hickory is a beautiful wood to turn when you get use to it. I just started turning walnut, cuts like butter, can now cut anything now after the hickory lot. Again, welcome.

Back