• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paul Natof

Thanks for adding me to your community! My day job is a patent attorney, but I truly enjoy creating things. Up to this point, my creations have been relatively large - treehouse, deck, shed, etc., but now I'm entering the fine woodworking hobby. After building a few cutting boards and coasters, I just got my first lathe - a Rikon 1218 VS, and I've only turned a wand, a top and a Christmas tree so far. Being in Lexington, Kentucky, I have access to bourbon barrel staves and I'm hoping to make unique turnings using them.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Paul,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you'll soon be taking on a lot more projects. You live in a beautiful part of the country. I've been through Lexington many times - although not in recent years - mostly on the way to Columbus via Cincy.

There are a lot of really great turners on this forum and they've been extremely generous with their time and knowledge, so don't hesitate to jump in. The water's fine. :)

Mark

Welcome! Lived in Louisville and Washington County. Do you buy the barrel staves as a complete filled barrel or in pieces?:p

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome,
Are barrel staves charred?

I can see a lot of potential for turnings with those....

Whiskey barrels are charred, wine barrels (or perhaps I should say cask or barrique) aren't charred. Also, whiskey barrels are only used once while wine barrels are used several times. I also discovered that wine barrels are "toasted" (meaning much more refined and snobbish than the pedestrian charring done to whiskey barrels). The illustration below depicts the various degrees of "toastiness" depending upon the end purpose of the barrique.

barrel-cask.jpg

Thanks for adding me to your community! My day job is a patent attorney, but I truly enjoy creating things. Up to this point, my creations have been relatively large - treehouse, deck, shed, etc., but now I'm entering the fine woodworking hobby. After building a few cutting boards and coasters, I just got my first lathe - a Rikon 1218 VS, and I've only turned a wand, a top and a Christmas tree so far. Being in Lexington, Kentucky, I have access to bourbon barrel staves and I'm hoping to make unique turnings using them.
Hi Paul - I am new to the aaw forum also and would like to see pics from things you make from the barrel staves :)

Back