• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pete Skellenger

I started turning in 2006, after I discovered a lathe in my dad's shop. I had just graduated college and was trying to get into dental school and didn't have much going on besides cutting and selling firewood with my brother and waiting out the school process. I was hooked instantly and obviously had access to unlimited wood. I spent a couple years turning a LOT and started doing shows and selling in galleries. I even talked with Mike Mahoney about trying to do it full time, I loved it so much. I joined the AAW and local chapter and did a few demo's. Went through a couple lathes. Built a variable speed vicmarc mini lathe with 1hp motor and VFD based on research from this forum! Then I made enough $ to buy a Powermatic 3520. Shortly after that, in 2008, I went to nursing school, then moved for work, and then to grad school to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA). I sold my powermatic in 2008 and turning has been on hold for the last 10 years until this last August while I was in school or working towards school. My little Vicmarc and all of my tools have been in a storage unit the whole time, including hundreds of roughed bowls and wood. I guess I knew I wanted to come back to turning! I picked up a used Oneway 2436 on Craigslist this summer that came with a TON of tooling and extras. I'm now back in the AAW and joining the local club again. I absolutely love woodturning. I mostly make utilitarian type stuff like pepper mills and bowls out of salvaged firewood or down trees, etc. but the new lathe came with 2 different hollowing rigs that I have been having fun with. I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to try woodturning...and the opportunity to be back doing it today! Glad to be back in the AAW and on the forum... I've learned so much from everyone here.

Welcome to the forum Pete! Looks like you had pretty impressive start, and not shy to share your experience and demo/teach others. Looking forward to learn from your experience too :) you need to teach me how to find that much free wood too :)

Back