• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Peter Jacobson

Website
www.rareearthbowls.com
Hi all,

I live in the Philadelphia, PA suburbs, where my wife and I raised our 3 boys. I turned my first bowl 53 years ago, and I turned my second bowl 3 years ago. So there was a 50 year hiatus from turning during which I pursued a professional career as a geologist and focus on family. Right before the pandemic, I decided to go back to woodturning, bought a lathe and became fully absorbed in learning everything I could about turning bowls. It turned out to be a great way to spend the lockdown period of the pandemic. The only downside is my shop is in my basement, so I am envious of those who have daylight and fresh air when they turn.

I scavenge all my wood and turn mostly bowls, though some hollow forms and platters. I have had great luck in selling them in the few shows I have done and am currently in one gallery. I want to keep growing my craft, but I am keen to not turn it into a job. I am happy to be able to monetize my hobby, but I want to keep it as a hobby.

My work can be seen at www.rareearthbowls.com and I would welcome any comments and critique.

Peter

Back