• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM 2014 question

I have a rather squirrelly idea, and I need to know the dimensions of the base of the Powermatic 2014. I can’t seem to find this on any of the web sites selling them. I prolly should ask the maker, but I’m sitting here so asking here!

Spike,

If I understand correctly, cost is a significant consideration for you. With that assumption, your best route to a lathe to grow with is likely with a used machine. Lathes hold up well. It can be a challenge to find just exactly the one you want at a price you can afford, but patience and diligence eventually pay off. Craigslist, and maybe the newer Facebook Marketplace, are good sources to check. Contacting all the turning clubs within acceptable driving distance to see who might be thinking of selling their lathe is a great way to identify a good used lathe. Many have Want Ads as part of their web site or newsletter and they usually have an idea of who has one for sale or just bought a new one or maybe has health problems and can't turn anymore. Most folks think about selling an item for a long time before they finally pull the trigger, so you can catch them in that thinking about it stage by reaching out.

There is also a Jet/Powermatic distribution facility in the Seattle area where you can pick up cosmetic blems and returns at a discount, if you really want a new lathe. https://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/

Spike,

If I understand correctly, cost is a significant consideration for you. With that assumption, your best route to a lathe to grow with is likely with a used machine. Lathes hold up well. It can be a challenge to find just exactly the one you want at a price you can afford, but patience and diligence eventually pay off. Craigslist, and maybe the newer Facebook Marketplace, are good sources to check. Contacting all the turning clubs within acceptable driving distance to see who might be thinking of selling their lathe is a great way to identify a good used lathe. Many have Want Ads as part of their web site or newsletter and they usually have an idea of who has one for sale or just bought a new one or maybe has health problems and can't turn anymore. Most folks think about selling an item for a long time before they finally pull the trigger, so you can catch them in that thinking about it stage by reaching out.

There is also a Jet/Powermatic distribution facility in the Seattle area where you can pick up cosmetic blems and returns at a discount, if you really want a new lathe. https://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/
Thanks Dean, cost isn’t a huge factor, but what is has 2 main parts, first is space considerations, I just don’t have much room to play with. The big issue is power supply. I only have 110 available and the circuit will blow breakers if I run the ‘smith too long. I am running the machine off of a Honda 2000 generator now. Upgrading the electric isn’t practical as the shop builds is 80 to 100 feet from any power source through boulder infested ”soil”.
So compact 100 unit is needed, and it looked like the PM 2014 comes closest to being a serious machine as I could find.

Years ago I had a property with a small shed a distance away from the house, I used a flat ice scraper and cut a line in the yard several inches deep and pressed a heavy extension cord into the cut and ran it from the house to the shed. If you have an A/C disconnect on that side of the house you could easily "scab" 220V power off of that disconnect and run it to your remote shop and have 20A or 30A of 220V power to run a lathe on. This would be temporary wiring which you could easily pull back out of the ground when you are ready to install a code approved electrical service to your shop.

Btw the 'foot' of the base are tapped for 2 bolts per each, using... 5/16"-18x5/8"
Thanks! The bolts appear to be 9 3/4 on centers, and the ‘smith way tubes are 8 5/8 outside. With a couple of bars under the tubes to run the bolts into, it could work, the spindle would end up about 46” above the floor, I am 6’3”, so that could work. Maybe.

Thanks! The bolts appear to be 9 3/4 on centers, and the ‘smith way tubes are 8 5/8 outside. With a couple of bars under the tubes to run the bolts into, it could work, the spindle would end up about 46” above the floor, I am 6’3”, so that could work. Maybe.
Np, wasn't sure what information you had on hand and just happened to have the parts manual on hand, I find the idea of using the shopsmith as a 'stand' for the PM interesting... imagine if it's too high, could make a platform to slide under the shopsmith, or short 'risers' if it's not quite tall enough.... Regardless, good luck with it. :)

Years ago I had a property with a small shed a distance away from the house, I used a flat ice scraper and cut a line in the yard several inches deep and pressed a heavy extension cord into the cut and ran it from the house to the shed. If you have an A/C disconnect on that side of the house you could easily "scab" 220V power off of that disconnect and run it to your remote shop and have 20A or 30A of 220V power to run a lathe on. This would be temporary wiring which you could easily pull back out of the ground when you are ready to install a code approved electrical service to your shop.
Thanks for the suggestion, however my situation makes it impractical. I would first have to cut through the driveway, then there is the stone wall, and the power to the heat pump is not something that I can get into. All of the spots in the 2 breaker boxes are full as well. We have an extra service for the driveway gate, but it is a looong way through large rocks!

The bed is the thing that needs the most improvement on a Shopsmith? I would have thought the height, low horsepower, and or high minimum speed would have been bigger issues. I would think that a Rikon 12.5x20 for $700 would be a better investment.

Last edited:
The bed is the thing that needs the most improvement on a Shopsmith? I would have thought the height, low horsepower, and or high minimum speed would have been bigger issues. I would think that a Rikon 12.5x20 for $700 would be a better investment.
The low height is a huge factor, the horse power is adequate for my needs at 1 1/8 hp, the minimum speed is covered by the speed reducer (down to 100 rpm), the way tubes just limit some non-essential goodies which can be worked around.
The PM has better capabilities for bowl work with the ability to work off the end of the lath with the bed extension in the lower position. There are other reasons, but those will do!
Thanks for your input!

Ok, now one more question- how long are the feet on the stand for the PM2014? The mounting on the ‘smith way tubes was squashed due to the length of the motor sticking out of the headstock.

Ok, now one more question- how long are the feet on the stand for the PM2014? The mounting on the ‘smith way tubes was squashed due to the length of the motor sticking out of the head
They're adjustable, not including the leveling feet...

Ok, manual states following...

Floor to spindle centerline, using stand with levelers... 34~44-1/2"

Last edited:
Back