• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM2014 bed extension available?

Greetings and salutations all, as the headline implies, I am wondering if any buyers of this lathe have acquired the bed extension, and if so from whom?
They appear to be back ordered until sometime late September at best. Iron shortage?
Thanks for any input,
Best, Spike

understand no containers in far East.....waiting for boat to come in probably

Website
www.instagram.com
I ordered my PM 2014 along with the bed extension in February of this year from WoodCraft. They both were on back order with a stated delivery date of late April. The lathe was delivered in the middle of March which was nice but I had not yet built the covered outdoor workstation it is on. WoodCraft stated the bed extension would still be delivered in April. As April rolled around I got another email from WoodCraft saying it was further delayed until May. Then in early May it was pushed out to the end of June. I think it finally was delivered about a month ago in early July. I was a little disappointed each time I got the email noting the delay and a little worried towards the end of the whole situation about receiving it at all.

The PM 2014 was a step up in power and features for me and I used it the entire time to become more proficient with my turnings. I hated the wait but the extension was one of the key features that influenced my choice of the PM2014. I upgraded from a Rikon Mini 70-100 ( 12" swing and 16" center to center) which the PM 2014 has a 14" swing and 20 inch center to center without the bed extension. With the extension it is closer to 20" swing and 33" center to center (though not both at the same time).
I LOVE that I can set up and tear down the PM 2014 in ten minutes because I turn outside on a covered deck with great lighting and plenty of fresh air.

I also bought a PM 2014 tool rest extension from another company and received it quickly compared to the bed extension.
6294700-JPW.png

The delays on the bed extension were bothersome though.
Al

Last edited:
Thanks Al, the thing that fried my cookies was that Amazon showed the extension as “in stock”, then after a day or 2 they told me it would be early October! If that would be ok!
Grumpy as that made me, I can’t complain toooooo much as the lathe cost a hundred dollars less through them than anyone else, with free shipping. Just after I got off my but and ordered it the price went back up.
Best, Spike

This just in: I ordered from Woodcraft because they had free shipping and resolved to be patient about the October delivery, as everyone was back ordered, yesterday I received an email that my order has shipped! I at first thought that they were messing with me, then this morning I looked at the tracking number, and it is scheduled for delivery on the 16th! Of this month!
Woo Hoo!!
Best, Spike

There was a video several weeks ago of a Typhoon hitting a major shipping port in China, the video showed large numbers of Conex shipping containers being blown off the ships that were in the harbor. As you can imagine all of the different materials, parts, pieces, components being shipping around the world to the end user, this will have an impact on production schedules for many different companies that source parts overseas.

Back