• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

POD Criteria (Photo Of the Day)

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
I'd just like to offer my thoughts on choosing the Photo Of the Day for the AAW front page, and give folks a better idea of what increases the chance of your photo being picked. Keep in mind it's purely a subjective decision on my part or whomever will be making the choice in the future.

Photo quality is very important! Images that are too dark; out of focus; undersized; cropped too closely with part of the subject cut off; or the opposite--subject is too far away, will generally be passed over. A neutral-colored seamless backdrop with a lack of texture to distract from the turning helps tremendously. Keep the camera angle low to show the profile, instead of a high angle attempting to show the interior.

Quality of turning: Of course this is just as important as photo quality. I'm not a professional turner or art critic, just a woodturner like everyone else, but I am looking for high standards of workmanship to appear on the AAW's front page. Not necessarily the cream of the whole crop, as I do like to choose turners of all skill levels if they post quality work.

Description! Description! Description! Please add a paragraph or two in your posting, with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I'm not really strict about this, but it will sure increase the chance by having an interesting, pleasant caption in your posting.

That's about it, and if you feel your posting was skipped and shouldn't have been, give it time. I often go back in time for my choice, not necessarily in chronelogical order. I also tend not to pick anyone who has been chosen within the last 6 months and unfortunately have had to pass over a lot of good pieces lately because of that!

Thank you, and keep the chips flying.
--
Ken Grunke,
AAW Forums Co-Moderator
member & webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners
My Home Page

Last edited:
Website
www.flyingcurls.com
Ken, I've been wanting to say this for awhile and now you have given me the perfect opportunity. I commend you on the job you are doing with the photos. You are picking a good variety but more importantly you are doing it in a timely manner. You are doing a great job and I appreciate it.

Back